The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Gaited Horses (http://www.horseforum.com/gaited-horses/)
-   -   What exactly is a gaited horse? (http://www.horseforum.com/gaited-horses/what-exactly-gaited-horse-84649/)

Spirit11 04-22-2011 10:41 PM

What exactly is a gaited horse?

Sorry if this seems silly, but I was told that my little Morgan was fully gaited. I asked what that meant and I got a super long winded explaination that didn't really make sense lol. Could someone explain please?

Brighteyes 04-22-2011 11:07 PM

Very simply, a horse with extra gears. :wink: Most gaited horses have a different gait to replace their trot. Some just have an extra gait thrown in in addition to their trot.

I'm not sure if they were using this definition when talking about your Morgan though.

Cat 04-22-2011 11:21 PM

It usually refers to a 4-beat gait that is not a regular walk.

Spirit11 04-22-2011 11:34 PM

Is that maybe why shes so fast? When she walks it seems as fast as one of the other horses trot. It doesnt seem like shes doing it on purpose to try to go faster or go ahead of you when your leading her, she just seems to have really quick steps. I also noticed when I was watching "the horse guy" as I call him because I can never remember his name, riding her she didn't seems quite as... I dont know boucey as the other horses, like it would feel a lot smoother when riding here? I'm not sure if that makes any sense.

Brighteyes 04-22-2011 11:36 PM

Got video? Sounds just like a horse that walks fast, but you never know.

Cat 04-22-2011 11:40 PM

There is a gait - called the running walk - that can look like super fast walking and I believe this is one of the gaits a morgan can have. Not as flashy and smooth as a singlefoot, but still a very nice smooth gait.

Spirit11 04-22-2011 11:42 PM

I dont have a video, but I can try to take one 2moro. I'll try to have someone ride her and take a vid of it. I'm still learning so people would just laugh if I put a video of me on her.

Cat 04-22-2011 11:45 PM

You can also search you tube to find examples. Some aren't as good as others, but it should give you an idea.

Cat 04-22-2011 11:47 PM

Spirit11 04-22-2011 11:55 PM

That does remind me of how she walks. I don't really like it though, because I want to take it slow most of the time. It hard riding with someone else because I have to keep stoping, or circle back around. Is there any way to make her slow down? Unless I keep correcting her she automatically goes to this gait. She was a driving horse, so maybe this is why shes faster?