The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Boarding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-boarding/)
-   -   Opening a boarding facility (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-boarding/opening-boarding-facility-84733/)

Born2Ride 04-23-2011 09:29 PM

Opening a boarding facility

So i have a few questions, first is about fly control. When your looking at boarding facilitys to board at, does it matter what kind of fly system they use? I'm debating between Shoo-Fly Automatic and Fly Predators, at our small barn we've used fly predators so i know they work, but i haven't heard much about Shoo-Fly. Im sure you can conclude there's a pretty steep price difference between the two, but do you feel the automatic would be worth the money, has anybody used Shoo-Fly, what do you think of it? I'm also wondering, does it matter to potential boarders if the BO has personal horses on site? I planned on having 2 barns (separated by an indoor arena) and using one for my own horses as well as additional boarders, so does that bother you boarding with the BO's horses. I do plan on establishing a breeding program, and i know people are very iffy about boarding with a stallion on the premises. I've also considered taking stallions in board in the 2nd barn, but my biggest concern is running into somebody who lacks the knowledge to keep the stallion in line and have him properly trained :/.

Another thing (sorry for so many questions), does it matter what discipline the BO does? Do you feel outcast if the BO does English (jumping or something) and you do Western Pleasure? Me and my fiance are thinking about buying a nice piece of land in the near future and just sitting on it until were financially ready to build. Since its a buyers market right now you can get a good piece of land for a good price. Also nice upper-style boarding facilities get between $300-$475 in board around me (ohio). I plan on relocating closer to a bigger city, which would help me as far as getting boarders. But im struggling on if the facility i plan on building would be worth around that? Here are my barn plans, let me know what you think. Basically i've been doing some research on the forum and taking tid-bits from people that board and what they'd like to have in a boarding facility.

80x200 indoor arena (i was going to do 60x160 but people seem to be willing to pay more for bigger?)
2 100x200 outdoor arenas (i plan on setting up one for jumping, and having the 2nd for all around use)
20 12x12 stalls (matted)
2 12x10 wash racks with H/C water
2 15x12 Tack Rooms (i'll be offering individual lockable tack lockers)
10x12 Bathroom (not sure if it will be big enough for a shower, if so people seem to think this is a big bonus)
10x12 office
3 line Vinyl fencing (not sure if i'd really need any hot wire?)
and a 60ft round pen
the aisles will be 12ft wide with cross ties, i was also going to put hooks inside the stalls so people can tie there horses in stall, since i've heard several people say they love this since there horse doesnt like to cross tie.

Another thing, i've seen people but up a stall guard (i think thats what there called). So you can slide the stall door open and let the horse(s) stick there head out, is this a good option or not a good idea? Last question lol, what do you guys think of having stalls with attached run-ins? Like a little paddock off the stall, where you can open and close a back door to let them go in and out, or close them in. Sorry its alot, i just REALLY want to soak up all the information i can before i go any further with this idea. Thanks!

(PS: the barn plan is just for one barn, i haven't started on the 2nd, since i'm not sure if i'll be putting it up, or just 'sharing' the one barn with boarders).

MyBoyPuck 04-24-2011 08:32 PM

For flies, the fly predators do work very well, at least at a smaller 8 horse barn. You'd probably have to buy a lot each month to keep up with more horses.

Most new boarding barns quickly take on their own identity. The first month you may have 2 jumpers, 2 trail riders, 2 western, etc. 6 months later 4 will have left and the whole group will be essentially one discipline. Most people do want to be with others who share their likes, so it'll all shake out as it should.

As for the stallion thing, I'm not sure I would board where there was one unless the stallion was very well managed and was in a very secure area. I definitely would not let a boarder bring one in. An incompetent boarder can be bad enough with a mild mannered gelding to even bother with a stallion.

Yes you need electric wire. One skillful escape artist will make quick work of nice vinyl fence.

I personally love the idea of run-ins. You can always shut the doors if the weather's absolutely horrible, and it gives the horses way more freedom and ability to be horses if they can come and go as they please.

The only thing I don't see in you plans is a pasture board option. If you are closer to a city and have a higher price point, pasture board might get in some good boarders who might otherwise not be able to afford your facility.

Love your ring plans. Can't find anything like that in CT for less than $950.

Born2Ride 04-24-2011 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MyBoyPuck (Post 1010387)
For flies, the fly predators do work very well, at least at a smaller 8 horse barn. You'd probably have to buy a lot each month to keep up with more horses.

Most new boarding barns quickly take on their own identity. The first month you may have 2 jumpers, 2 trail riders, 2 western, etc. 6 months later 4 will have left and the whole group will be essentially one discipline. Most people do want to be with others who share their likes, so it'll all shake out as it should.

As for the stallion thing, I'm not sure I would board where there was one unless the stallion was very well managed and was in a very secure area. I definitely would not let a boarder bring one in. An incompetent boarder can be bad enough with a mild mannered gelding to even bother with a stallion.

Yes you need electric wire. One skillful escape artist will make quick work of nice vinyl fence.

I personally love the idea of run-ins. You can always shut the doors if the weather's absolutely horrible, and it gives the horses way more freedom and ability to be horses if they can come and go as they please.

The only thing I don't see in you plans is a pasture board option. If you are closer to a city and have a higher price point, pasture board might get in some good boarders who might otherwise not be able to afford your facility.

Love your ring plans. Can't find anything like that in CT for less than $950.

I've considered pasture board, but basically that was going to depend on how much land we get. After pricing it on Fly Predators site it will be about $500+ for the season (per year). So its actually not that bad in price, i just dont know how effective it will be with a larger boarding facility.

MyBoyPuck 04-24-2011 10:05 PM

I do know with the smaller place I was at, there were zero flies. As long as there are enough predators to do the job, it should work regardless of the size of your manure pile.

Born2Ride 04-25-2011 11:50 AM

Ya that's what i figured, we always sprinkled some on our manure pile as well, since it's kinda close to our barn and we never have many problems. I just dont want to have to end up having to put up a bug zapper in the barn lol, i know how annoying those are :/

Lisa Marie 05-04-2011 09:31 PM

IMO pasture board is an excellent option for extra income and will tailor to people who cannot afford full board.

In our area stalls with run-outs cost about a hundred bucks more.