The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Jumping (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/)
-   -   Tips to stop jumping ahead? (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/tips-stop-jumping-ahead-84735/)

Bluezepher94 04-23-2011 09:53 PM

Tips to stop jumping ahead?

I have a tendency to rush and I often jump ahead of the horse, which sometimes pushes me further in front of the pommel than I should be. I know jumping ahead causes a lot of horses to run out/refuse. I'm working on this in lessons, but if anyone has any tips, that'd be great. :D Thanks.

Hlover 04-23-2011 09:57 PM

Well knowing the correct amount of strides before a jump so you can count the rhythm in your head and two point at the correct time this will also help your horse take the right amount of strides and jump correctly hope that's helpful:)
Posted via Mobile Device

Endless Journey Girl 04-23-2011 10:26 PM

Yeah definitely counting really helps, my instructor used to actually make me count out loud. Just keep saying it in your head 1, 2, 1, 2, 1, 2 and eventually you'll be able to tell when the horse is going to take off.

horseloverd2 04-24-2011 05:35 AM

Grip with your calves and don't push yourself forward. It's really hard, I have problems with it myself. You naturally lift out of the saddle when the horse jumps. If anything, just push your bottom out a little. A lot of people probably won't agree with me, but bareback helps (if) you have a good overall seat and balance.

MyBoyPuck 04-24-2011 11:58 AM

Grids, bounce, etc. Set distances where all you have to do is pick a point in the distance to focus on (with soft eyes) and hold your position over the fence.

MIEventer 04-24-2011 12:30 PM

When I start to jump ahead, it's because I start riding the fence instead of my horse. When I get so focused on the fence ahead of me, and I try to get to the fence, instead of allowing the fence to come to me...that's when I start lurching forward.

I focus on what is ahead of me, instead of what is under me - my horse...who is the most important factor here, not the fence.

Ride your horses rhythm. Focus on your quality of ride between the fences first. Balance, rhythm, straitness, control. Remaining balanced over your feet, functional two point. Staying over your horses center of gravity - balanced - and learning to remain ontop of your horse.

It's not your job to jump that fence - I know it's easier said than done - but that's your horses job. Your job is to get the quality of ride between the fences, and the fences will take care of themselves *your horse will beable to do its job at the fence, if you ride correctly between them*.

So - when you focus on what is under you, instead of what is infront of you, you will learn to allow your horse to do its job, while you remain over your horses center of gravity - allowing the fence to come to you, instead of you rushing to it.

Here I am anticipating the fence...trying to rush my horse to it - instead of allowing the fence to come to me...

http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot..._2951821_n.jpg

I end up jumping ahead.

And the 2nd approach, this time I focused on my horse, staying over him, rhythm and balance...and forgot all about the fence...

http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot..._4590517_n.jpg

I did not jump ahead. I stayed over him.

Does that make sense?

Bluezepher94 04-24-2011 01:49 PM

Thanks everyone. (:

@MIEventer : I know exactly what you mean, thanks! I think I do end up anticipating the jump way too much. I'll try and focus more on just riding and less on the jump next time I ride.

upnover 04-25-2011 12:00 PM

That is some excellent advice MIE! Ditto to everything she said.

Gymnastics are my favorite exercises to to work on body position over fences.

MIEventer 04-25-2011 12:28 PM

Thanks upnover! It's easier said than done, but when you put your mind to it, you can get it accomplished. It takes time, to retrain your thought process and your bad habits, but when you are dilligent and determined, you can do it.

When I focus on the fence, I rush. I try to chase my horse to it - losing the quality of the ride between the fences *which is the most important factor to jumping* When you focus on the fences, forgetting your partner *your horse* your quality of ride deminishes...like we see so many times at comps and shows...

BUT when you take the time to get a good quality ride between the fences, when you focus on you riding your horse *dressage* getting a horse under you, rhythm, light to your aids, balance, control, while you remain balanced, over your feet, functional two point - then, that's when the fences come to you, and they "just" happen.

So I keep telling myself - "Ride My Horse, Not The Fence".

~~

Gymnastics - I totally agree upnover! My Coach has me doing a ton of this now, which is great! I have to learn to just leave Nelson alone, and focus on just staying put, over my feet. The Gymnastics are helping me to let go of his face, and just stay put while remaining supportive with my legs.

The whole "keep your upper body quiet" is a toughie, cause I want to close my hip angles, instead of allowing Nelson to close it for me....whew.....when you pick up a bad habit, it is a bugger to correct!

raywonk 04-26-2011 09:24 PM

I have a power horse that if you think about two point you are ahead of him. So I have learnd to sit steady and just push my hands faward he lifts me out of the sadle at the right moment.