The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Show Clothing (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-show-clothing/)
-   -   Should I get a body protector? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-show-clothing/should-i-get-body-protector-84801/)

PaintCrazed 04-24-2011 07:30 PM

Should I get a body protector?

I was recently looking at body protectors wondering if I should get one. My mom really wants me to have one because at my last show when I was warming up the horse I was riding he refused a jump several times, then he just LEAPED like 2 feet over the x-rail I fell and he was luckily a good horse and got out of the way but my mom still thinks I should have one.
I do a lot of jumping and ride at 2 barns I would only wear it to one due to trainer issues. I have been told by several judges that I have really good equitation and never let the horse get away with what they want to do.
I have been working at one of my old barns recently and the trainer there has some green ponies that I'm getting a chance to work with and do some jumping with, so I see some more falling in my future.
I want to know what you think of them. If I should get one. What are pros and cons, and do they really protect you?

Toffee 04-25-2011 04:46 AM

If i was you i would get one, But it depends on what the horses that your riding act like.

PaintCrazed 04-25-2011 09:48 AM

I ride a lot of differnt horses at my one barn from green horses and ones that haven't been ridden through the winter to horses that are so slow they barley move for anything. Last week I rode a welsh pony & draft cross that just dead galloped because he hadn't been worked properly in a loooong time then I jumped on a slow poke 11yr old QH who didn't move lol!! At my other barn it is usally the same horse over and over so I have no reason to wear it there because we usally don't do much but some troting and a bit of jumping.

I ride a wide variety of horses and my mom will buy me the body protector IF I wear it, so I'm wondering if she should get it, and the pros and cons of them, and if they really do protect you.

Alwaysbehind 04-25-2011 09:58 AM

If you are thinking it might possibly be a good idea I vote it is something you should get.
I doubt you will ever regret wearing it when you did not need it. You might regret not wearing it if you do need it.

Toffee 04-25-2011 10:10 AM

Yeahh I would say get one and wear it when you ride the crazy horses. The only con i can realy think Of right now os that if you get one too big it might get in the way or if its realy hard ans wont move then its kinda hard to move. And pros are pretty much is like all the ovious stuff like Protection and such.

Hope my comments helped :) any more questions ?

jinxremoving 04-25-2011 06:05 PM

The only con to using a body protector is that they can sometimes be restrictive, although it's my understanding that if you go for a Tipperary instead of a Charles Owen or some of the other cheaper brands you won't have that problem. I would try on a few brands if you could and see what fits you the best. Some tack shops will even let you use one for a few days and return it, just to see how it feels in the real world as opposed to trying it on at the store. :)

monkeyleap 05-08-2011 04:39 PM

I had started jumping before i was ready... like way too soon.... and then at a show I fell and was uninjured, fell a few more times, and here I am today, a long time after. I have never been injured by falling, but a person I rode with has broken her arm, so I think it's kind of iffy. I'd try to find a good deal on Ebay, and then resell it if you don't need it.... I hope this helps!

gypsygirl 05-10-2011 01:48 PM

if you are going to get a vest DO NOT get a tipperary ! all but one of their vest [i believe] are NOT approved, you might as well not wear a vest. i really like my rodney powell, they are about $200 [US] i had a flex rider i really liked as well. some people think vest are uncomfortable but you just have to get used to how they feel and get one that fits you well =]

Marlea Warlea 05-10-2011 10:59 PM

vests are a must!!

my vest is as important as a helmet to me, you will see every single pic i post here i will be riding with a vest and helmet!!

the only time i do not use a vest is at a show where i am just walking, trotting and maybe cantering.

kitten_Val 05-11-2011 12:57 PM

I'd get one personally. And I agree - don't get Tipperary, look for the certified one (the best one I tried so far (and seriously considering if I get into jumping) is Dover Saddlery | Airowear Outlyne Flexible Vest . ).