The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Question on round penning and getting to it. (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/question-round-penning-getting-84835/)

lildonkey8 04-24-2011 11:47 PM

Question on round penning and getting to it.

1 Attachment(s)
Hi everyone!
So first let me explain my "layout".
I'll try to explain in this edit, if it doesn't make sense, please tell me:
Attachment 62139
Now, Noka is a kicker. She's the one I want to work with. The QH's always walk up in say hi. You see, to get to the round pen you need to walk in the QH's paddock. Noka's especially harsh toward Blue. What do I do? I need to work with a 5 year old full of trouble. I can't be worried about the curious 7 year old. What can I do!? I'm 9. I'm half the size of the Quarters. Noka's pushy. Just tell me what to do and I'll really appreciate it:D

Also, is there anything in the round pen I can do to break those habits? I need something besides circles.

Thanks!
:DKenzie:D

Citrus 04-24-2011 11:51 PM

Get Nokas attention completely.... make her pay attention to you no matter what is around by not releasing your pressure (whip, stick, yelling, whatever) until she pays attention.....

lildonkey8 04-24-2011 11:53 PM

Thanks! I'll try that some time!

haflingerlover 04-26-2011 07:37 AM

Noka knows join up and CA. She should ALWAYS turn into the middle and not away. She also knows what a chain is and how that feels, if you are having a hard time getting her attention use a chain under her nose (when leading). It will give you more bite to you corrections as she is stonger then you.

I have NEVER had her kick at me EVER. I'd carry a lead rope with you and when she does it if she is loose smack her with it (not with the clip end tho). This is like 'kicking' her. You need to be the boss and in control or she will walk all over you. If you are the 'lead horse' no one will challenge you like that. So when your walking through the pasture no one is going to kick and no one is going to get to close, as that are your rules.

The best way to make yourself the boss is being doing join up and CA round penning. I do it to all my horses Tanoka knows it don't let her fool you.

lildonkey8 04-26-2011 09:27 AM

She won't buck at me but she gets aggressive towards Blue and Tiger sometimes.

BTW, What's CA?

haflingerlover 04-26-2011 03:58 PM

Same thing as the boss Blue and Tiger are you, she can not touch them if your there. Thats highly rude. I have one mare who is evil in the pasture but if I'm there she will just pin her ears and walk around once I leave pasture she is back to kicking and biting.

Clinton Anderson = CA

lildonkey8 04-26-2011 06:35 PM

Thanks!