Hi guys, I need some opinions.
I went to get my horses in and noticed there is something wrong with Phoebe. She's really reluctant to walk, and to get her in from the field she needed constant pressure and walked very slowly. So I got her into the yard and pretty much started straight away to examine her. I noted the following:
So far I have put her in her stable with 3-4 inches of shavings, and given her one flake of soaked hay, which has been put into layered haynets so she can only eat it very gradually. My farrier is due out a week tomorrow, so I may call and see if he can come out sooner. I will also call the vet tomorrow. I won't have much luck today as it is a bank holiday. I am monitoring her every 30 minutes.
What do you guys think about her symptoms? Also, do you have any comments on my actions so far or further suggestions of what I can do?
I'll be really grateful for your thoughts. Thanks. x
Our vets work 365 days per year. I bet your vet has a service that will get him or her.
You don't want to wait if you think she may be foundering. If you plan to pay for a vet call, do it right away.
If you suspect laminitis, don't make her walk. Bed her stall deep. Cold-hose her feet. Keep her off grain and rich hay. Sounds like you're doing things right.
Is she eating? Pooping does not necessarily discount colic.
Have you noticed an elevated digital pulse?
mistyorbit: I'm definitely going to try. Would you suspect laminitis? I've mostly been arguing with my mum because she doesn't think she could have gotten it just from a hack in the orchard. We're ringing the friends who took them out to find out what they let them eat. The vet is the next step
Bubba13: I only made her walk from the field to her stall. It's bedded with all the shavings I have going which makes up about 3 inches. I'll get some more tomorrow. She has one flake of soaked hay put into several haynets to make it harder to get to. She also has a suede hanging up in her stable as a bordom breaker, but that's all the food she's got. She'll eat if I move her to the food, but doesn't seem to move towards it herself. I'm going to go out again in a minute, to check her digital pulse again, I checked before and it seemed slightly high, but I wasn't 100% sure.
Laminitis can have many causes. Toxic plant, chronic obesity, hard riding, etc. Some of your description does seem to fit, though of course it's rather difficult to diagnose for a web description.
I'm just finding out what they were allowed to eat yesterday. She hasn't been overworked, in the last week she jumped twice, and been on three hacks which were either walk only or walk/trot, as the ground is pretty hard here. While she has been overweight, my vet said she was a healthy weight again about a month back. I'm worried about plants though.
apparently she wasn't allowed to eat while out yeasterday, so if it is laminitis i have no idea what caused it. I've just taken her digital pulse. I took it 3 times for a minute each time and it averaged out at 45bpm
edit: she now has heat in the band of the coronet of both fore feet :( I think it may be vet call time
If you truly think lamintis, you might want to put her feet in some ice or at least a cold water while you wait for the vet.
If her feet have heat in them cold hose them asap and get the vet out asap.
Or better yet soak them in ice water for twenty minutes and repeat that later on today but get the vet out and soon.
I'm not really 100% it's laminitis. It's 21.42 here. The emergency vet is out on a case, so i'll have to wait. Her front feet had slight heat. I've given her them a cold soak
|All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:01 AM.|
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0