The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Jumping (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/)
-   -   horse pulls his head down a lot (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/horse-pulls-his-head-down-lot-8497/)

otis07 05-01-2008 08:18 PM

horse pulls his head down a lot

so for the the past 2 years i have pretty much been riding the same horse, but at my last lesson my instructor put me on a different horse. i like him but he pulls his head down really far over jumps and i feel like i'm on top of him when he lands. he has much more go and can jump a lot higher but the neck thing is just really weird. i am pulling the reins up and bending my elbows more to keep him up and to slow him down (he will gallop over ever jump if you don't pull on him). so i got him to pull his head up in the flat and inbetween jumps, but what about over the jumps? i don't want to pull on his mouth but he needs to get his head up!

ak_showgirl 05-02-2008 01:21 AM

ok so i think i might give this a try.......i have not really posted on here a lot so please excuse me if i am wrong. :D

so it sounds like this lesson horse just needs to be taken down a level, he should not be galloping over the jumps and you really shouldnt have to pull on him a lot to get him to slow down.... so ...since he is not your horse, it sounds like your trainer needs to school on him at a lower height until he can jump it nicely and not rush...as for the head going down he could just be reaching more than the other horse you were riding...and if you are jumping at a higher height on him he might have to reach more..... so i hope that helped you out at least a little....im not totally sure that i even completely answered your question... but good luck with the horse! :)

otis07 05-02-2008 08:55 AM

i really don't think he needs to be taken down a level, he is a "better" (more stamina, better confo, more advanced horse) horse than the one i was riding before. it could be different at your barn, but at mine the faster horses are not riden by beginners. the more advanced people in the class ride the faster stronger horses. he is not rushing i would say, he is just fast, but it's a comfortable pace and he doesn't have that big of strides so it all works out.

i agree i shouldn't have to pull on him, but thats just the way he rides. all the lesson horse have their quarks, but it would be boring and i wouldn't learn anything if they were all the same.

ak_showgirl 05-02-2008 10:46 AM

oh ok i s see what your saying now....well if he isnt rushing the jumps then i guess that is just how he rides and jumps. :)

JustDressageIt 05-02-2008 03:05 PM

If you want a horse's head up, use your legs. Make it uncomfortable for him to put his head down when he's working, encourage a correct headset. DON'T USE YOUR REINS TO PULL HIS HEAD UP.
As for the jumping - chances are you have to get used to it. More advanced horses used their head and neck more and need to round their backs to get over the higher jumps. Personally I wouldn't discourage a horse from using its neck and back over a jump.

ShadowFox 05-02-2008 07:36 PM

100 % agreed.

If you're still not sure then why don't you talk to your trainer about it? Ask her for some tips or possibly reasons why he is doing this. She owns this horse right? So she should know what is normal and what is not. Also talking to other riders who have ridden him might help as well.

Hope i helped!

otis07 05-02-2008 09:52 PM

thanks for the info guys and gals. i did ask my trainer about it and she said he is just a weird horse and to use my hands to pull his head up. i'm not sure how i would use my legs to move his head.

when i pull, i'm not pulling back, just up which just makes his head come up, it doesn't make him slow down at all. my trainer doesn't own the horse, it's a lesson horse, but she knows him really well. i asked one girl who has riden him before and she just said to pull the reins up, and she agreed he needs to get it up.

so how would i go about using my legs? i use them now, but it doesn't seem to have much of an effect on his neck. i am not set on completely changing his neck, i just want to know if there is anything i can to to make it less dramatic.

JustDressageIt 05-03-2008 04:47 PM

Simply put: Bump and kick him with your calves and heels and when he brings his head up, reward him by stopping.

brittx6x6 05-03-2008 10:22 PM

Well for the flat I agree with JDI. Use your legs not hands to pull his head up.

For the jumping part, you shouldn't try to discourage a horse from using its kneck and back when jumping. Every horse jumps differently and this horse seems like a powerful horse that knows its jobs(grabbing for the fence). This lesson horse is more advanced for a reason. It is not going to be the same as any other horse. Its going to jump correctly every time no matter what you do. You need to learn to ride it. If you discourage the use of its head and kneck then it will start pulling rails, and possibly start refusing.

JustDressageIt 05-03-2008 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brittx6x6
Well for the flat I agree with JDI. Use your legs not hands to pull his head up.

For the jumping part, you shouldn't try to discourage a horse from using its kneck and back when jumping. Every horse jumps differently and this horse seems like a powerful horse that knows its jobs(grabbing for the fence). This lesson horse is more advanced for a reason. It is not going to be the same as any other horse. Its going to jump correctly every time no matter what you do. You need to learn to ride it. If you discourage the use of its head and kneck then it will start pulling rails, and possibly start refusing.

:D We think alike, Britt! I think we said almost the same thing - see my first post :)
I completely agree with you, don't discourage movement through the neck and back.