The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Getting 2 yr old to lope in the round pen? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/getting-2-yr-old-lope-round-84982/)

KateS 04-26-2011 09:57 AM

Getting 2 yr old to lope in the round pen?

Just like the title says, I am having trouble getting my 2 year old to lope in the round pen. I can get her to trot around no problem but if I want her to lope she will just trot faster. I did manage to get her to lope a few strides yesterday but that involved alot of me running and snapping her with the whip. She is not at all afraid or respectful of the whip which makes it hard to get her to go without hitting her with it alot. I really don't like to hit a horse with anything but on the other hand she has to know that I am boss and she needs to listen. Just in case someone asks, the pen is plenty big enough for her to run.

Thanks

Alwaysbehind 04-26-2011 09:59 AM

How big is your round pen?

MN Tigerstripes 04-26-2011 10:13 AM

^^ I second that. She may not be loping because your pen isn't big enough for her to properly balance herself at a lope.

mls 04-26-2011 10:21 AM

I third that.

Also - what is the footing? Is she inclined to lope or trot when she is loose in turnout?

KateS 04-26-2011 10:37 AM

Haha as I said in my original post the pen is plenty big. I'm not sure the exact size but she is at the end of my lungeing rope. Those come in a pretty standard size though I'm not sure of the exact length. I know that the pen is big enough as my 4 year old has no problem running in circles. And she goes pretty quick too not just a slow lope. The footing is a bit off but it shouldn't be that big of a deal. I have both horses in the pen all the time unless I am working with one and when they are loose they are fine lopeing around. We will be getting fresh sand this week so that should make the ground better. Also, when I had gotten her going at the lope it was a very relaxed beautiful lope the problem is getting her to the lope.

Alwaysbehind 04-26-2011 10:40 AM

Plenty big means nothing and lunge lines come in lots of various lengths. So that really means nothing.

Just because a 4yo can balance does not mean a 2yo can.

2yo's frequently have a hard time figuring out where all those growing body parts go in the best of situations. A small spot, with a line pulling them even more off balance and then uneven footing might simply be more than they feel safe adding to their lack of balance.

MN Tigerstripes 04-26-2011 10:46 AM

^^^ Exactly.

KateS 04-26-2011 12:05 PM

Ok, if you all agree that it is probably the ground I will wait until we get fresh sand in there plus we will be making it bigger. That should happen this week sometime. I really hope that is what the problem is.
Thanks!!

Alwaysbehind 04-26-2011 12:12 PM

I am not sure we all agreed it was the ground.

I was waiting for more information.

Northern 04-26-2011 01:13 PM

It's: *the footing
*the size of the rp & longe line length
*the fact that it's a 2-yr-old
*the stress on joints, tendons, etc., as well as the mind, of a 2-yr-old, going in lots of circles
*the questioin of whether you, with your level of skill, are able to help this horse.

It's clear that you're not a qualified colt-starter, because a qualified colt-starter wouldn't find the need to ask a forum how to get the colt to canter in the rp.

I like to see colts started by those who have the skill, or are learning under an on-site horseman who has the skill.