The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Please help, my mare is so skinny, and i can't put weight on (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/please-help-my-mare-so-skinny-850/)

cass 02-24-2007 11:58 PM

Please help, my mare is so skinny, and i can't put weight on

Please help, my mare is so skinny, and i can't put weight on her :(

kristy 02-25-2007 12:00 AM

Why is she so thin?
Is she ill?
How long has she been losing weight?
What are you feeding her?

First time horse owner 02-25-2007 01:22 PM

How old is she ? Have you tried a good strong wormer. Zimecterin gold is a good one worms for 61 types.

Skippy! 02-25-2007 07:47 PM

As they said, please elaborate more on your plight ^^

And as for worming, i just wanted to say that if you are worming an emaciated horse, its really a good idea to stick with Safeguard and similar types. Safeguard's main ingredient is Fenbendazole and it is a VERY gentle wormer on a horse's stomach. Look for Fenbendazole as an active ingredient in your wormer =)

If she is completely emaciated, i dont think its worms though... usually with worms you see a bloated barrel/belly. There's nothing wrong with worming with some Safeguard just to be sure though!

SOWERBYGREENE 03-02-2007 10:35 AM

If you can't keep any weight on her, try feeding a fat concentrated grain. Like extruded. You can pick the amount of fat that is in the feed and it works wonders. I have my TB on it because we do a lot of eventing and I haven't had any troubles.

BeautifulBay 03-02-2007 10:38 AM

You need to make sure your mare is healthy before you just try upping her food intake, or adding fat. There can be a serious problem going on that you may not know about. I'd call the vet and have them do a thorough exam of her first and foremost. A bloodtest may be a good idea to have done. As soon as you get a good note that there's nothing going on internally, then you need to definately do something about her food intake.

kounter_kaanter 03-04-2007 10:33 PM

I used to own a underweight TB mare and she was impossible to put weight on [i lost her last may to colic] but what I found did help alot was getting her teeth floated regularily, and I used 2 PANACUR dewormers every 2 months, 3 times to ensure she had no worms and after that she did gain some weight, I also chose really high in fat grains [Cool Calories, & Fat Cat worked the best].
I STRONGLY reccomend getting a vet check just to ensure it's nothing internal going on, if I could turn back time I definatley would have done that for my mare.

kristy 03-05-2007 12:03 AM

Where is your vet and what did they say?!

Bentley 03-08-2007 08:02 PM

My horse is so skinny, please help!

Assuming you've had his/her teeth floated and had her wormed and ruled out any health issues, how about stress? Some high-strung horses get stressed and won't eat. Also, exercise can stimulate appetite. Try rice bran pellets or oil as opposed to grain, and definitely free feed hay.