The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Ear goo (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/ear-goo-85029/)

New_image 04-26-2011 08:53 PM

Ear goo

Really. I've never seen nor heard of this before. Picked up a mare for training, shes nine now. These folks have owned her since she was a foal and said she has always had "a leaky ear". One of her ears has sometimes a bit of dampness, sometimes a trickle and sometimes a gob of clear goo. Its thick, always clear... and snot like. But super thick, it cannot run it kind of globs out down onto the ground when enough forms.

She was seen by a vet as a foal who preformed some sort of minor surgery ( I do not know the details as she wasn't mine ) that didn't help. As a two year old she was seen by another vet who did an extreme cleaning, it started again within the month. A third vet was called and he gave her some sort of medication ( I have no idea what kind of medication was prescribed to stop ear goo ) but again, no luck. Shes fine, shes happy, healthy and has never been sick.

Has anyone heard of this? What in the world could be leaking from in her ear? Just curious if anyone's seen this, I'll try to get a photo.

PintoTess 04-26-2011 08:57 PM

That sounds horrible. And bad! I reckon some kind of ear infection for sure.

New_image 04-26-2011 09:04 PM

That was my first thought, when she told me. "Ear infection, I'll get it cleaned up..." But its not smelly, not yellow and hasn't worsened from BIRTH? Just haven't heard of that one.

PintoTess 04-26-2011 09:31 PM

That is strange! I have no idea, it has me puzzled!

luvs2ride1979 04-28-2011 07:51 AM

Sounds like her sinuses too a wrong turn? Maybe a small hole between her sinus cavity and her ear canal? They are close together in the head normally. Maybe lymph fluid? I didn't think lymph glands were that close to the ear canal, but... ???

New_image 04-28-2011 02:44 PM

Right!

We've kind of wondered about some sort of over active gland or the sinus thing too but its just puzzling. Like I said, shes completely healthy and this has been a life long thing with no change.