The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   First Horse Advice! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/first-horse-advice-85096/)

marybonus 04-27-2011 03:55 PM

First Horse Advice!

Hello. I have been browsing through this forum and I have already found so many useful tips and experiences! This time I am posting because I need advice. I am 40 and I started taking riding lessons a year ago. I started leasing Yapa, a cross breed mare six months ago. I have grown really attached to her and we have really learnt a lot together. I love her to pieces and trust her fully! I am very confident riding her (although my teacher says she is not easy to handle) and we know each other very well. I now have the possibility of buying my own horse. I can choose between Yapa, and good, pedigree jumping horses. A friend of mine jumps professionally and she has already helped me try some horses on sale, together with my teacher. My teacher says she has not seen me ride any horse like I ride Yapa. My friend says I should invest in a better horse. I don't know what to do. Whether to buy Yapa, whom I have this wonderful bond with and I am still learning so much with or take this chance to buy a 'good' horse. If I go by my instinct and emotions, I would like to buy Yapa, but many people tell me that if I am going to invest in a horse I should buy a good one, whatever that means.
Some day, when I go beyond the beginner stages, I would like to start with dressage, I know Yapa would not be too suitable for that, but by now and I am sure that for some time, she will still teach me a lot.

I don't know what to do!

Any advice is welcome! Thanks!
Mary

IndiesaurusRex 04-27-2011 04:24 PM

If it was me, I would go with my head AND my heart and buy Yapa! You've already said that you have a great bond with her, and get on with her really well, and what's to say that a 'good' horse is a 'good' horse for you? As it's your first horse, you want something you can depend on and trust, rather than worry about how much you should be competing it!
I hope this helped with your dilemma, go Yapa!

Speed Racer 04-27-2011 04:45 PM

Mary, what's your definition of a 'good horse'? Sounds to me like it's the one you're riding now. :wink:

Don't be swayed by anyone else's opinion when it comes to buying a horse for yourself. First and foremost, you need to be comfortable with the animal and get enjoyment from riding and being around it. You can do this with any horse, regardless of its price tag or pedigree.

If Yapa is the horse who gives you the greatest pleasure, and you're happy with her and have fun, that's worth more than anything else. A horse you can trust is worth its weight in gold!

Unless you have a huge desire to win big in the show ring, I don't see why your friend should have any influence on your decision.

DieselPony 04-27-2011 04:46 PM

I say go for Yapa. You like her, know her, she is good for you, it doesn't matter if someone else's definition of good doesn't classify her in that group.

When looking for another horse, I actually disregard everything my friends tell me about what kind of horse I need/want. I will take their opinions if it something like that seller is lying or if they previously know the horse, but I will know my next horse when I meet him/her.

Go with your instincts, and YOUR definition of a good horse, not someone else's. So if Yapa is a good horse to you, she is a good horse and no one else matters. Besides, those jumpers may suck at dressage and then you'll need a different horse anyways if you want to pursue dressage later down the road.

myhorsesonador 04-27-2011 04:48 PM

I say go with your heart and buy the horse you know and love. :)

horselvr 04-27-2011 05:30 PM

IMO you are the only one who has to be happy with your horse. I dont worry about what other people say when I am buying a horse, I buy what I like and what I want. In the end you are the one paying for it and to keep it so why buy something YOU dont like or want? Is there something "wrong" with Yapa that people are telling you to not purchase her? Is she too old? Wrong breed? Wrong confirmation? Injuries? Do they want too much money for what she is? There has to be reason people dont want you to buy her... So what is their reason?

I know that I was told to not buy a couple of my past horses but I did anyway and could not of been happier with MY decision. Just because someone else doesnt like MY horse doesnt mean I dont....

laurenxo 04-29-2011 07:40 PM

It depends what you are wanting to pursue. If you just want to learn a dependable horse that you feel comfortable with and trust. However, if you really want to compete a lot etc. you should assess if Yapa would be able to do so. You should also check Yapa's conformation and injuries. Have fun :)

Cinder 04-29-2011 07:55 PM

I would recommend you pick Yapa. Right now, you want a horse that will make you comfortable and secure, and Yapa does that.

It's also important that you keep in mind that you look for different things in a Jumping versus a Dressage horse, and so a horse that's a star at Jumping may not do so well in the Dressage arena.

marybonus 05-01-2011 02:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thank you all for your answers. I think buying Yapa is the right thing to do right now. And I am sooooo happy to know she's gonna be mine!!!!!! :D I have a great bond with her and we are still learning a lot together. Your answers have made me reflect a lot, but I also thought of how I would feel in both scenarios and owning Yapa will definitely make me happier, and right now, that is a plus! I have already made an offer which the owner has accepted!!!! And the vet will probably see her tomorrow for the pre purchase check up. I'll keep you posted.

I am attaching a picture of Yapa so that you get to know her!!!

Thanks!

touchofsleep 05-01-2011 07:37 PM

Go for it! My first horse was a little ass and very disrespectful. But I knew he had potential and now he is a show horse!!! Yapa sounds great