Help-My horse is lame
I bought a QH gelding last December for $450 that I thought was a bargain. Come to find out when I started riding him this spring, he was giving me a hard time and didn't want to go. His right leg was a little swollen. I didn't think much of it until I had a trainer come over who told me that he wasn't a QH but a registered standardbred that has previous injury and shouldn't be ridden for more than an hour at a time and no trotting or running. I also was told he was only 15 and learned that he was 23 from my equine dentist.
I've been told it would be very expensive and probably wouldn't help at this point in his age to have his leg xrayed and treated. This is my first horse and I am truly bummed. I carry water to him all winter long and even though he's a good boy, I just don't want to keep him and continue this for another winter if I can't ride him at all. I also don't want to have to put him down. Any suggestions?
I'd never buy another horse without being vet checked.
You could try to sell him "as is" as a pasture mate or pet. Talk to some reputable local animal rescues and see if they know of anyone willing to take in an older fellow. I would be honest in advertizing him. You paid $450 to learn some lessons...It could have been worse. Keep and open mind and heart and you should be able to find a good home for him.
BE CAREFUL selling him. If there's one thing I've learned dealing with less expenisve horses it's that kill buyers come in many shapes and forms; some may say that they're looking for a quiet pasture pet for their daughters, some say they're looking for a horse to keep as a companion; when really they're just kill buyers.
Make sure that you get references, and if possible, go visit the prospective buyer's barn. Get a written agreement that this horse is not to be sold without notice to you, if you'd like buyback rights.
It is very hard to find a good home for chronically lame horses; the market is saturated with horses right now, and you can find a really good, young, broke horse for about the same price you bought this one for, so you have to take precautions when you sell.
Here is my honest opinion:
In all honesty, take pity on this guy and put him down... chances are you'll be saving him from a lot of heartache down the road. It might be hard for you to do, but he's 23 and lame - the chances oh him finding a perfect home (I hate to say) are slim.
Thanks for your replies, I appreciate it. I don't plan on selling him to someone and not be honest with them about him. I will give him away to the right home and make sure he's not going to be resold. The home I may be sending him to is a couple of older folks who have a big pasture and they just like to watch the animals and said I could also go visit him. The last thing I want to do is sell him to someone who will just have him shipped. I just don't have the heart to put him down. He's such a sweet horse and seems to have a lot of life just can't be ridden. However, I would rather put him down than have him go to someone who will try to use him anyways in spite of his pain. When he's not ridden, he does okay. Thanks again for your advice.
You know, I would go ahead and at least get YOUR vet to assess him and take a couple of x-rays. The info on the horse that your trainer has could be wrong or the prev. vet could have mis-diagnosed him. At least find out from a VET who has actually seen the horse that he's untreatable/unusable before you go and hand him off or put him down.
I would also put him down...like to get out of his misery? Only because you can't really be sure about who's going to want a 23 yr old lame horse...but hey someone good might come around. ;) It might be better for him overall.
Hey Riley, thanks for the ray of hope. Do you really think a 23 year old has a chance to get better? He's been a full 5 months and the knee is still swollen. It gets much worse when I ride him, but I've given that up now. Although just last night he was old in the pasture running around looking for his goat buddy. But just upon watching him stand in a matter of five minutes he lifts that bum leg and puts in down again. I've got a little time to decide here but really want to do what's best for Willy.
|All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:31 PM.|
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.