The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   Third riding lesson..a few questions? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/third-riding-lesson-few-questions-85201/)

wishingforahorse 04-28-2011 06:12 PM

Third riding lesson..a few questions?

I had my third riding lesson today and had a lot of fun. I rode a different horse and we worked on the basics like turning and controlling the horse. She then put me on a line and we cantered a bit, which was so much fun! Kind of scary at first, but I did it. So while I was riding, the instructor was telling me the different gaits and stuff. She said that the walk was a 4 beat gait, and that the trot was a 3? Not really sure. Can someone explain that to me? So when the rear left hoof goes forward, the front left hoof also goes forward at the walk?

Cali 04-28-2011 06:22 PM

Trot is a 2-beat gait. Canter is a 3-beat; maybe you got them confused?
Posted via Mobile Device

wishingforahorse 04-28-2011 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cali (Post 1015933)
Trot is a 2-beat gait. Canter is a 3-beat; maybe you got them confused?
Posted via Mobile Device

Probably. Thanks! :)

PaintHorseMares 04-28-2011 06:54 PM

You can read the explanations w/pictures on various web sites... try wiki at Horse gait - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

wishingforahorse 04-29-2011 01:42 PM

VelvetsAB 04-29-2011 02:21 PM

Cantering on your third lesson? Seems a little too fast, unless you happen to catch onto things super easy!
Posted via Mobile Device

wishingforahorse 04-29-2011 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VelvetsAB (Post 1017028)
Cantering on your third lesson? Seems a little too fast, unless you happen to catch onto things super easy!
Posted via Mobile Device

My lesson instructor said that I had a good seat on my first lesson and I caught on really fast. My riding lessons are also longer than the normal. They are about 2 hours long. So in a way I would be on my 6th..if that makes sense. She had the horse on a line though, so I didn't have to worry about controlling the horse.

manca 04-29-2011 03:55 PM

Or did you confuse trot and canter?
Have you trotted before?

Alwaysbehind 04-29-2011 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by manca (Post 1017173)
Or did you confuse trot and canter?
Have you trotted before?

This is what I was thinking.

OP, congrats on your lessons going well. It sounds like you are having fun.

wishingforahorse 04-29-2011 04:12 PM

So far I've walked(lol), trotted and cantered. She said that I had a good seat and that I was a natural rider and that I caught on fast (not trying to brag), so she asked me if I wanted to trot. I sat it well. My third lesson I did mostly walking and trotting, but then she asked me if I wanted to canter a bit. She put the horse on the line and she had me just trotting for a couple of minutes..and then off we went. She told me to sit more back in the saddle before he cantered and said that I had good balance(or something like that) while we were cantering.

I think it's just because my lessons are long.

Always Behind- Thanks! I am having a lot of fun with them..but have a hard time waiting a week until my next one :)