The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shhh! I wont tell if you wont!

9K views 40 replies 28 participants last post by  SevenAteNine 
#1 ·
So i was thinking today as i want through all of my horsey stuff how many horsey things i have that are completely ghetto-rigged. My best example is my show coat, it is perfect for what i do, plain black, right length, and a flap in the back with some give for jumping. sounds perfect right? hehe well my mom bought it for 10$ at a consignment shop, and its DKNY, witch is not horsey at all. Ill post pictures one i find the camera!

:lol:So now im curious, how many of yall have wonkey substitutes to save same money in the oh so expensive horse world?:lol:

#31 ·
I buy a lot of my stuff used (used tack sales? Pure fabulousness. You can find some really nice stuff for cheap. Ex: A nice bridle + bit for $35). My grooming box is from the dollar store, as is my box that I keep first aid stuff in. Riding breeches? Ha - I'll stick with some thicker tights.

So no, not really creative - but I still spent a heck of a lot less than a good number of people I know.

#32 ·
Here we go, What does it look like when you show in:

IRH Helmet, new off of ebay $25
Showing shirt, Horselovers clearance $10
Gloves, borrowed from mother $0
Breeches, brand new, Horseware of Ireland $13 :shock:
Boots Effingham long boots, barely worn, $100 of of ebay
Custom fitting of said boots for my fat legs $48 (and worth every penny)

Bridle, part of $35 box lot, have sold $35 worth of stuff so basically free
Bit, Myler snaffle, brand new from store, marked at $40, couldn't pass on that.
Saddle, VERY nice Stubben, valued by local store at over $1000, swapped for cart I bought for a lot less!!!

Horse, well $800 bought with money I put in a pot when I gave up smoking, so basically free!!

Result

It felt like a million dollars:lol::lol:

#33 ·
wow first off im gonna say you save so much on all that showing stuff!!! but i just HAVE to comment on your horse, hes GORGEOUS!! and looks super spiffy in the items you got on sale :)

#34 ·
I'm just starting to Re-collect horse gear (stopped riding moved overseas...)

brushes - yard sale - $7 a bit of disinfect and good to go
saddle - kijiji - $150 Wintec Isabell Werth, just needed some TLC, pick up from the saddler tomorrow $30 for new leather patches and a stitch up.
Field Boots - horselovers - 89% off- $25
lonsdale girth - horselovers - $24
horse towels - free - I work at a hotel and we can't use stained towels

currently looking online for more cheap stuff I need.

#39 ·
Golden Horse, yours is my favorite!

I can really only say that i was much more thrifty as a child. my mom worked 3 jobs and riding in Orange County was a joke. Waaaaay too much money spent on horses out here. so when i showed, i would show the jumpers because you only had to have a helmet that was approved and they didn't care what you wore as long as you looked presentable. so i wore those tall rubber boots, cheap lycra stirrup pants (yes, the 80's ones!), and a polo shirt! haha! So i'm much older now and make quite a bit more money as a productive adult in society... but i still ride the jumpers cause hunters are, to this day, are still too stuffy and expensive!!

#41 · (Edited)
My dad goes to these auctions that always sell stuff really cheap. My tack trunk is an old military trunk that he bought for $2 and I painted and my first aid box is some other little chest.
I've packed some old human blankets under stable blankets during a cold snap while ours were at the wash.
I stole a bottle of my mom's shampoo that removes yellow, she bought when she went to the hairstylist and they colored her hair copper on accident to get the yellow out of my gray mare's tail. Shhh. Don't tell her. xD
Our barn owner has chopped up fun noodles too use as head bumpers at the tops of horse trailers.
I have a couple pairs of actual riding tights for hot weather riding, but usually I just ride in skinny jeans, serve the same purpose and save time between going home and changing after school.
I'll have to make a trip through my stuff and repost if I find anything else odd.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.