The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Draft Horses (http://www.horseforum.com/draft-horses/)
-   -   Groundwork for Clydesdales (http://www.horseforum.com/draft-horses/groundwork-clydesdales-85209/)

TeddybearLove 04-28-2011 08:50 PM

Groundwork for Clydesdales

So I need to work on some more groundwork with my Clydesdale Christopher.
Christopher needs to gain more groundwork before we can send him off to be trained to pull a cart.
Can you give me some more groundwork to work on please?
Also can you give me tips as well.

danastark 04-29-2011 01:46 AM

A couple of the best things I taught my draftie boy were to back away or move over away from me at just a touch and to lower his head to poll pressure. Helps keep him off of me and definitely helps when bridling or haltering him!

myhorsesonador 04-29-2011 01:49 AM

I have the right to with hold all information untill I get to see pictures.. :P

TeddybearLove 04-29-2011 04:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by myhorsesonador (Post 1016392)
I have the right to with hold all information untill I get to see pictures.. :P

LOL!Okay:D
*Note- this picture was takin last September before he had a trim. His feet arent like that as of right now.

TheLastUnicorn 05-01-2011 07:00 PM

If you know how, or can get a trainer to help you - ground -driving... everywhere.

Handy... lateral work - in hand.

Essential - yielding body (shoulder, ribs, hips... separately) with very light pressure.

The softer you have your horse to your hand, and body the easier it will be to transition to the cart.

You can also, if you have harness for him, have him drag a lightweight drag, or even plank of wood.

Try to introduce the closed bridle before he goes off - some horses seem to object a bit to them at first.

And voice training... a lot of driving has to do with verbal communication. We talk ours up all the time... both praise and corrections as well as cues.

KawaiiCharlie 05-06-2011 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TeddybearLove (Post 1017182)
LOL!Okay:D
*Note- this picture was takin last September before he had a trim. His feet arent like that as of right now.

hes cuteee :D more picturesss?!

TeddybearLove 05-06-2011 04:28 PM

Thanks! I just took some recent pictures of him last weekend and I will upload them.
He's a looker!
Posted via Mobile Device