The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Fence Rails GRRRR!!! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/fence-rails-grrrr-85236/)

ShowStopper 04-29-2011 05:52 AM

Fence Rails GRRRR!!!

1 Attachment(s)
Me and my boyfriend mum have just had two gypsy cobs from a rescue centre. Put them in a seperate paddock next to the others so they could get used to each other without getting into trouble. They broke out into the other paddock, which i could just about understand because it wouldnt suprise me if the others were teasing them so i excused that, but that wasnt the end of it! Spanner (Piebald) stangs facing the fence, pushes his chest out and pushes! Electric fencing... he turns his bum to it and stomps his feet until it snaps and then walks away.!!!! His best friend who i had from the rescued at the same time has started copying. I dont know what to do?
I thought excercise might help but he isnt 100% with people so we are working on his trust but what can i do in the mean time.?
Does any one have any ideas.?

Attachment 62580

MaggiStar 04-29-2011 06:20 AM

That is baffeling! we have a chronc houdini and our fence is on 10,000volts and he just wanders through it like it doesnt exist!

we strung pipe all along the fence in a double strand so it looked more secure then put just a plain strip of wire behind it about 2feet away it hasnt totally vured him but he is getting better

jwells84 04-29-2011 12:20 PM

id say put a really sturdy fence up. it will cost $$ but ought to lasta longer. I had a quarter horse mare, who'd walk over/thru or break any kind of small fence( electric included) we finally had to put a pipe fence with mess wire in it and top rail. that totally solved the problem it was too strong for her to move/break.

Alwaysbehind 04-29-2011 12:26 PM

Have you tested your electric fence to see how much of a shock it is actually giving?

smrobs 04-29-2011 01:44 PM

I second AB to check the voltage that your fence is actually putting out. Some chargers that are defective or older don't put out much more of a charge than a static shock. If the shock is weak, you might consider getting a cattle fence charger, they put out on heck of a shock and coupling that with stronger (pipe or very heavy wood) fencing, should keep them in.

ETA: Also, make sure that your fence isn't grounded out anywhere along the fencline and make sure that your ground rod goes really deep into the ground.