The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   General Off Topic Discussion (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/)
-   -   Canadian Election (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/canadian-election-85347/)

MacabreMikolaj 04-30-2011 02:18 PM

Canadian Election

I apologize if there is already a thread about this, I glanced through and didn't see one.

Any thoughts or opinions? We have few enough Canadians here, I'm sure we can keep it civil. :lol:

I am voting Liberal. Unfortunately, it sucks, because I am on the fence almost 50/50 being for and against the policies put forth by the Liberals and NDP (I agree with half, I disagree with half), but I am very very against the Conservatives. I agree with some things (tough on crime), but I just CANNOT get over their whole "anti-homosexual, anti-abortion, go religion" stance. I disagree with the Liberals and NDP on issues that I find less important then the ones I disagree with the Conservatives on.

Here is a SUPER fun little questionnaire you can fill in from CBC, and it matches you with the party most suited to you based on your answers.

Canada Votes 2011 - CBC News

Magaidh 05-02-2011 11:47 PM

I don't really want to discuss my personal political views here, but let me just say -- WOW, what an election! I have been glued to the Elections Canada website for the past two hours, and I must not be the only one because it keeps crashing. (I have no tv here, so it's my only portal to the outside world...)

I cannot believe the final numbers. A majority Conservative government and an NDP minority, from 37 up to 106 seats? Incredible. The NDP stole Quebec from the Bloc, who went from 49 down to 4 seats. It makes me very, very happy.

But the most surprising part has to be the fact that neither Mr. Duceppe or Mr. Ignatieff won in their own ridings.

Or, maybe the biggest shock is that Elizabeth May won hers?

I don't know. I'm just having way too much fun watching this go down... :D

JustDressageIt 05-02-2011 11:53 PM

I'm honestly shocked at the results.

Spyder 05-03-2011 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustDressageIt (Post 1021412)
I'm honestly shocked at the results.

I am not. Ignadia (sp) shot himself in the foot so many times that we finally woke up and turfed him out.

Equus_girl 05-03-2011 12:22 AM

This has been quite the election! This is rather historic for the NDP and Mr. Harper must be pretty pleased with the results.

Magaidh 05-03-2011 12:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacabreMikolaj (Post 1018157)
We have few enough Canadians here, I'm sure we can keep it civil. :lol:

Just the fact that we are Canadians, despite numbers, almost guarantees the civility of this thread! Just sayin'... :wink:

cfralic 05-03-2011 01:52 AM

I can't believe green won majority in BC... that's craze.

Kattia 05-03-2011 01:57 AM

Same, not the results I expected! Quite shocked!

Carleen 05-04-2011 02:12 AM

Definitely didn't expect it to go this way. Not entirely happy with the results, but we shall see what comes of it...

Excited that Igantieff stepped down and Trudeau is a possibility!

aspin231 05-04-2011 04:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cfralic (Post 1021488)
I can't believe green won majority in BC... that's craze.

Government is crazy in itself, and Green only won one riding.
Watching everything go down was painful for me, as I'm not yet old enough to vote. I believe that the age at which we're allowed to vote needs to be revised. There's so much information on the subject taught in public school systems that our country's young people are more informed than they're given credit for. I know it's a different subject entirely, but it infuriates me to not be able to do more than sit back and watch the show.