The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Head Tossing (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/head-tossing-85348/)

jrcci 04-30-2011 03:37 PM

Head Tossing

My horse is a 5 year old and I have been having problems getting him to keep his head down on the bit, and it is only with trotting. When trotting to the left, with suppling he will usually bend and keep his head down. To the right, he is constantly tossing his head up and will not go down on the bit with an even hard amount of suppling. I started him in a snaffle bit, and he would pull my hands apart at the canter. I had a segunda bit on, and he absolutely hated it. I have him in a Dr. Bristol now, which keeps me in control without throwing his head all of the time. He has great feet, and his teeth have just been floated. He just will not bend to the right and will not put his head down. Any advice?

camdenqh 04-30-2011 09:49 PM

what kind of reins are you using? are you using split reins?

quarterhorse 05-01-2011 01:49 PM

You can try using a myler bit. Myler is just the brand, this brand has a huge varitie of bits and they usually come with a book or dvd to let you know how to use each bit. These bits are made a lot more comfortably for the horse. Usually when they throw their head its for many different reasons. It could be that he doesnt like the bit, it could be he is in pain, or just wants to be noddy and so on. Have you dried using balancing reins or side reins when you lunge him. If you do try this and you have never used them before ask for help.

churumbeque 05-01-2011 01:55 PM

He could be stiff? He could be out of alignment and need a chiro adjustment. It could be a miriad of reasons.

jrcci 05-01-2011 09:29 PM

we used side reins on him... he hated those too but he listened to them. we havent tried split reins or anything like that but i will definatley look into it. thankks guys!

vikki92 05-01-2011 09:32 PM

What about a tydown, my mustang (Camanche) did the head tossing thing till i invested in a tydown & it worked. but every horse is differnt.

churumbeque 05-01-2011 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vikki92 (Post 1019777)
What about a tydown, my mustang (Camanche) did the head tossing thing till i invested in a tydown & it worked. but every horse is differnt.

I don't agree with tying there head down. I would solve the problem. KI couldn't imagine being tied and not being able to get free of what was bothering me

quarterhorse 05-01-2011 10:43 PM

I REALLY like the balancing side reins instead of the regular side reins because I can use them 3 different ways. I use them on my barrel horse and I use them on my hunter/jumper horse/dressage. My horse didnt like the balancing reins at first either but after fighting with himself he relized it was to much work. Now he accepts the bit and tucks in his head. Berfore investing in a tie down or a standing martingale or even a running martingale try to go through your other options first and let the tie down be the last resort.:lol:

jrcci 05-02-2011 10:14 PM

im going to try the side reins. ill let you know how it goes!

kitten_Val 05-03-2011 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrcci (Post 1018165)
Any advice?

Get a knowledgeable trainer. Something is wrong with him and side reins may be a quick fix (if at all) to the issue, which is NEVER a way to go.