The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   Summer riding and how to handle the heat. (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/summer-riding-how-handle-heat-85349/)

amandaandeggo 04-30-2011 04:12 PM

Summer riding and how to handle the heat.

All right, well as we all know, the summer months are aproaching quickly! Everybody know that the summer is the most uncomfortable time of year for equestrians; long pants, helmets, chaps, boots, and everything esle can start making us really hot really fast. So how do you stay cool while riding in the summer?

P.S. I'm looking for a nice pair of lightweight riding breeches/jods for the summer. Any suggestions?

beauforever23 04-30-2011 11:27 PM

I know this sounds so stupid but, it works for me. You know those little toy fans, that have the water bottle attached to the end of it and while the fan is running you get a mist of the water while it's running and than it has the little spray thing that you can spray the water on you?.

while that has always worked for me, and it cools me down during the summer days. I know very stupid.

donatellodemerlieux 04-30-2011 11:50 PM

There is one product that I borrowed last summer from a friend while I was at an eventing trial, I wore it under my vest. It's a vest type thing filled with some type of gel, you just soak it in water, then while you're wearing it, it keeps you cool. The only problem is, whatever you are wearing over/under it gets wet. It worked really well, and if your riding anywhere other than a shower where you have to look good, i would definetly suggest it. I'm really sorry, but I don't know what it was called as I only used it once.

sullylvr 04-30-2011 11:55 PM

ahhh im so glad this thread came up!! I know its just now getting hot in alabama but my body must not be used to the heat and after i got of of my ride i almost fainted, followed by a vomiting spell:oops::-(... worst day ever.

BUT todays ride was much better, my trick is never drink straight gatoraide- sports drink, theres too much sugar, just mix it half and half with water to get the electrolites and carbs!:-)
also riding tights do a world of good instead of breeches in the summer

smrobs 04-30-2011 11:59 PM

I have found that more of the proper type of clothing is better than less clothing. I ride western and I am a stickler for what kind of shirts I wear. When it starts getting really hot, I wear a tight cotton undershirt underneath a long sleeved, light weight, light colored, fairly loose fitting cotton shirt. The t-shirt soaks up sweat and holds it, creating a swamp cooler effect and the light weight outer shirt reflects a lot of the sun so it keeps you cooler.

In my experience, that is so much cooler than wearing a tank top, plus you don't have to worry about sunburn.

Kayty 05-01-2011 09:56 AM

Kerrits do fantastic 'performance tights' that are super light weight and great in summer- take a bit of getting used to though as you feel naked! In Australia we get days in excess of 40 degress Celcius aka **** HOT! And these breeches make it so much more pleasant to cope with, particularly if teaching and riding a number of horses in the day.

I also agree with smrobs re the long sleeved shirt vs tank top. I can't stand riding in tank tops, not only is it the sunburn factor, but you have the direct sun on you making you hotter, and if you come off you can take a lot more bark off your arms than if you're wearing long sleeves or a t-shirt. I try to wear very light cotton 3/4 length button up shirts in summer to keep the sun off me but let the breeze through.

It's also tempting to wet yourself down a bit - but dont! It gives relief for a few minutes and then it makes you even hotter! - Same goes for horses, people hose them off then put them out, but the water heats up and forms a hot layer around the horse's body, scrape the water off before you put them out!

anrz 05-01-2011 10:11 AM

What no one has mentioned yet is water, something I always forget! I used to get heat exhaustion nearly every time I rode, but once I started drinking water every 15-20 minutes, it really helped. I bring one or two water bottles whenever I'm working or riding now. And you know those exercise shirts made out of the material they use for soccer jerseys? If you can find some that are on sale they let the breeze through really well and kind of just wick the sweat away.

AlexS 05-02-2011 07:14 PM

I ride early in the morning or later in the evening if at all possible.

zurmdahl 05-02-2011 07:40 PM

I try and ride early in the morning, usually around 8, when it's cooler. I'm a morning person though so I'm always up anyways, if you're not riding late at night is good too as long as you have some lights. I also wear this shirt:
Dover Saddlery | Riding Sport™ Competition Riding Shirt.
I have it in white and I believe I have the same one in black and green as well but they might be different brands, they do a really good job of wicking sweat away and keeping me cool as well as dry. My mom also got me a pair of really thin breeches that I'm hoping will keep my nice and cool, they're from dover too and I think they're kerrits but I'm not sure, sorry!

Strange 05-02-2011 07:42 PM

1) Stay hydrated. Your body can't keep you cool if it's retaining water because you haven't been drinking enough to sweat properpy.

2) Loose, lightweight clothing. I love kerrits stuff. Or you can also invest in some heat-gear from under armour. It's expensive but it definitely helps keep you cool.

And just a little tip. Wear sun screen. I don't care if you want to be tan. Skin cancer is not cool!