The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Colors and Genetics (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/)
-   -   Colour and genetic rules (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/colour-genetic-rules-85359/)

manca 04-30-2011 05:21 PM

Colour and genetic rules

Sorry if there are any threads about this, but I couldn't find it.
Is there any thread or site that explains which colour a foal can be, depending on his parent's colour?
You can't get a palomino out of a black horse, can you?

Lis 04-30-2011 05:26 PM

You can if the black horse is hetrozygous for the black gene and carries red so it would be Ee and is bred to an ee (chestnut) carrying a dilute gene or anothe Ee horse that's carrying a dilute gene.

manca 04-30-2011 05:35 PM

Amm, this sounds a bit complicated to me. I'm totally new to this topic.
I just gave the example, it's not that I'm breeding or something, but I am interested in this colour stuff.
Hetrozygous means not dominate gene? How could I know if some horse is hetrozygous?

Lis 04-30-2011 06:14 PM

Hetrozygous means it carries different alleles (variations of a gene) so in this case the base colour of any horse is red (ee) or black (Ee or EE). Hetrozygous means different (more or less), homozygous means same so a chestnut horse is homozygous for ee but a black can homozyous (EE) or hetrozygous (Ee) as black is dominant to red as red is the recessive gene. You would only know if you genetically tested or bred to a horse that was homozygous for the recessive gene so say you bred your black horse to a chestnut. If your black was homozygous for black it could never produce a chestnut foal but if it was hetrozygous there's a 25% chance it will produce a chestnut foal.

Poseidon 04-30-2011 07:09 PM

Color Calculator Here's a fun calculator if you want to figure out colour possibilities.

NDAppy is working on a massive explanatory thread/website to explain the basics of colour genetics. I am currently proofreading it and it's looking pretty sweet.

lilkitty90 04-30-2011 09:57 PM

seriously Po? that is exciting! i can't wait till she finishes it. she's so great with genetics and colors!

Manca i'm pretty good with my colors but i'm not good at explaining them with the Ee and ee and EE types. i'm better off with a punnett square! lol

Poseidon 04-30-2011 10:03 PM

Yep. It was proposed in another thread, so she's doing it anddd it includes punnet squares!

lilkitty90 04-30-2011 10:27 PM

woot! i can't wait! lol i'm such a genetics nut lol

NdAppy 04-30-2011 10:32 PM

Here is the start of it if you want to look at it - Wix.com Equine Color Genetics created by ruffriderdesign based on Close Up It's rough and I am still working out the "kinks"

manca 05-01-2011 03:09 PM

Quote:

Here is the start of it if you want to look at it - Wix.com Equine Color Genetics created by ruffriderdesign based on Close Up It's rough and I am still working out the "kinks"
This thing is amazing :D I actually understood :P

Now the only thing I have to learn is all the colours in english... A lot of them seems very similiar to me.