The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   How do I cure my horses sunburn? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/how-do-i-cure-my-horses-85370/)

quarterhorse 04-30-2011 08:12 PM

How do I cure my horses sunburn?

Hi, I have a black and white paint that I resently body cliped for the spring/summer. I knew that the white areas would be sensitive so i was putting on spf 50 sunblock. well it turned out that it wasnt enough for him and he ended up getting burnt. I have been putting on aloe for about 3 days now only about once a day. His burn has completly cracked his skin and made it pretty ruff. He wont let me put the aloe on enless i have someone to hold him. I have decided to put on aloe 3 times a day to keep the peeling skin soft. when that peeling skin dreis it becomes extremly painfull. Am I doing the right thing? I dont have money for a vet at the moment so I im trying to do home remedies. Should I keep him out of the sun till it is heeled? I dont have a barn I only have an outside stall with a run.

monsterofastorm 04-30-2011 10:54 PM

My horse tends to have her nose burn, we always but zinc on it. Lat year we used the a&d brand with zinc and it cleared it up quick.

Trinity3205 05-01-2011 02:35 AM

Get him out of the sun definately! In during the day out at night. He has burned skin. No sun just like a person!

Stop the aloe. If he is cracked and peeling, he needs more protection that doesnt evaporate away and absorb.

Anywhere there is cracked bleeding areas, Apply a thin layer of Triple Antibiotic Ointment to keep infection down and then use Desitin or any like off brand. It has Zinc and protects very well. Apply very liberally to any affected area to sooth and protect. Apply at least twice a day or as needed if its really bad.

Id also get him on a good supportive skin supplement to help him regenerate the compromised areas quickly.

You need to be very careful. If his skin is compromised, He can get infection very easily and you will absolutely need the vet to get some antibiotics. Id be hard pressed to not have him on them anyway. I have experiance with bad sunburn over a paints back and rump. It sucks for the horse.

Keep his stall super clean. If it seems needed, put a clean light cotton sheet on him. Wash it as much as you need to to keep it clean and free of serum or built up ointment. I like to use Borax in the wash.

dee 05-01-2011 10:57 AM

When DJ and Junior got sunburned last year, our vet gave us a medication called "pink lady." He swears by it for all kinds of minor wounds, and it is FANTASTIC on sunburns. DJ was burned all along the top of his back, poor guy. The pink lady had it practically healed in a week, and he was rideable in two weeks.

You can order pink lady online, you don't have to get it from a vet. It has zinc in it and forms a protective barrier to prevent the bured area from burning again while it heals. Its a little pricey - we paid $15 for a small bottle, but that bottle was more than enough for the two horses.

We kept the pink lady on the areas most prone to burning the rest of the summer - it worked better than sunscreen, but the guys may have been a little embarrassed to have so much pink on them!

quarterhorse 05-01-2011 11:30 AM

Thank you. I have A&D zinc oxide cream and i found some tripile antibiotic ointment. He is in his stall taoday. I did put on aloe this morning before i read your feed back. after that aloe dries i will start the creams. It does not look infected yet thank goodness nothing is swollen either so far.

luvs2ride1979 05-01-2011 05:53 PM

Yup, I agree, zinc oxide diaper rash cream. It will heal the burn and prevent it from getting more sunburned. I keep zinc on my pink nosed horses from May through October.

calfboy 05-01-2011 07:01 PM

I use sunblocker mixed with skinsoftner and aloevera ointment, and when the sun is as strongest, I either take the horse in to the barn or put a horse blanket hon them.

quarterhorse 05-01-2011 09:32 PM

So after the aloe was dried up this mornin I put the tripile antibiotic on the areas that were craked/semi blood and the baby butt cream on the areas were they were sore and peeling. 10 hours later it looked sooooooo much better. I think the aloe vera was actually making it worse. Thank you for all your input everyone. Baby butt cream is my new best friend.:lol: I even talked my husband in letting me invest in a uv fly sheet combo. heheh:lol:

capades 05-01-2011 11:22 PM

I am jumping on board with the diaper rash cream tomorrow as my little paint has 2 burned butt cheeks. My vet has said to keep bullfrom on him but is gets too pastey and dries up too quickly. Never thought about the baby creams.
Here's to a pretty rump again! :)

starlinestables 05-02-2011 01:08 AM

I'm surprised no one said silver sulfadiazine cream... Its what they use to treat burn patients. GREAT STUFF!