The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   Becoming an accomplished rider in a year? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/becoming-accomplished-rider-year-85424/)

Vindicated 05-01-2011 12:29 PM

Becoming an accomplished rider in a year?

Hi everyone!
I'm new to riding, although I've been around horses most of my life, and I'm planning on now riding around 3-4 times a week for a year. I ask this as my dad joined the mounted branch of the police when he was around 37 year old, and he went from a complete novice to an accomplished rider in just under 3 months time, however he was doing it 8 hours a day!

I'm lucky to have access to free riding as my dad and his friends have horses, but I will continue pay for lessons with a private instructor at least once a week on a saturday.
I'm not looking to be a perfect rider in a year, but I'd like to have the ability to be able to start jumping.

Best regards:-)

Stoddard 05-01-2011 01:46 PM

At the barn I rode at, she usually won't let you be a competitive jumper until at least two years into riding if you started from nothing. It may be possible, though. Just work hard and listen to your trainer and you'll be jumping pretty well in no time.

Ray MacDonald 05-01-2011 02:27 PM

I think you can become a good rider in a year. You just have to work really hard, especially on flat work! Good luck!

kitten_Val 05-01-2011 05:12 PM

It very much depends on what you mean by "accomplished rider". I call "accomplished" when the person can ride different horses correctly in the discipline of choice. It takes quite a bit of time. BTW, "jumping" doesn't mean person jumps correctly, and I've seen it on local shows and videos plenty of times.

Citrus 05-01-2011 05:37 PM

Absolutely... if you set a goal and do everything you can to reach it, it is attainable..... it means you have to live, eat, think, breath horses..... when not riding be thinking of how you can improve next time. It is deffinitely a goal that you can reach. Look at these guys who come from the ghetto and become pro athletes....... they have nothing and they just work hard toward one single goal. YOu can do it.

lovesmyhawse 05-01-2011 06:00 PM

Everybody improves at their own pace.
Keep at it and have fun!!

lovesmyhawse 05-01-2011 06:18 PM

However if you are really keen... do some reading.
Learn how horses use their senses to see, smell, hear and feel the world around them. Learn about how their brains work and about their physiology. This will not only help you become a better rider, but an all around better horseperson.
Good luck!

touchofsleep 05-01-2011 07:29 PM

A lot of people will probably tell you it is not possible because they want to believe it takes long hard years of work to become decent or pretty good. But some people become naturals at anything they try. If you work hard and just have the ability to do it, you can be pretty good in a year.

Skipsfirstspike 05-01-2011 11:00 PM

I would agree that some people may progress at a faster rate than others.
What is more important than how many Years riding, is how many Hours in the saddle. You can ride once a week for 4 years, then someone like your dad comes along and can ride circles around you after 3 months.. but he has spent more hours in the saddle.
You already have an advantage of riding 3-4 x a week. If you happen to be naturally inclined and have an excellent trainer, you may be a very good rider in a year.

iAutumn 05-01-2011 11:30 PM

I think you could do it in a year, if you worked hard enough :) You have to have a lot of time with your horse, though.