The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Other Pets (http://www.horseforum.com/other-pets/)
-   -   Update on my cat (http://www.horseforum.com/other-pets/update-my-cat-85428/)

x3emilygrace 05-01-2011 01:26 PM

Update on my cat

4 Attachment(s)
Just thought I would give everyone an update.

Here is the original thread:http://www.horseforum.com/other-pets...-my-cat-74397/

We thought she was doing better, and we were continuing to give her antibiotics for the asthma. About two weeks ago my mom came home and found her on the stairs, barely able to move and breathing heavily. She brought her to the animal hospital and they stabilized her. The next day we brought her to the vet. They narrowed it down to either a tumor or pneumonia. We had the radiologist come in and she said it wasn't a tumor; it was chronic pneumonia.

She was in the hospital at our vet's office for a week; on and off oxygen. We took her home, but she kept getting weaker. My mom was out of town for the weekend, so I was home from college to take care of the pets. She was the weakest I had ever seen on Friday, so I called the vet and they admitted her back into the hospital. They said they would try one more antibiotic.

She passed away this morning. This is the cat that sleeps with me every night, that only comes when I call. I'll miss her a lot.

Thanks to whoever reads this; it helps a little to talk about it.

GeminiJumper 05-01-2011 03:20 PM

Oh my goodness!! I'm so sorry for you! It sounds like she was going through a rough time there with asthma and then chronic pneumonia. :(

She looked like very elegant, beautiful cat with an adorable personality. I'm so sorry for your loss.

*Hugs*

Citrus 05-01-2011 04:34 PM

I am so sorry. My once in a lifetime cat is currently dieing of kidney failure at the young age of 10- it is not supposed to happen til much later and she was diagnosed at 8. We have had her in a study for a med that is legal in the UK but not in the US. She is still sweet and happy but I dread the day we have to euthanize... it will be at home as I have budgeted for a house call from my large animal vet- I don't want her last moments to be in a kennel, locked, scared.

I am sooooo sorry for your loss. I would lower my flags if I had them.

GeminiJumper 05-01-2011 09:51 PM

I also have to say that her markings are adorable! I think she looks like she took a big drink from a glass of milk and has it all over her upper lip. :)

Puddintat 05-01-2011 10:01 PM

I'm sorry about your baby. It always hurts to lose a beloved pet. My thoughts are with you.

x3emilygrace 05-02-2011 08:19 PM

Thank you for all the replies.
They said if she didn't respond to this last antibiotic, they would have to put her to sleep, but I still was praying for her. I had a little bit of hope. I didn't expect her to pass away on her own, but I know she was fighting this for a while.

She was only 5 years old. I had to go back to college, so I don't think it has fully sunk in that she won't be there when I go home. =[

Once again, thanks for the replies. I'm glad she isn't suffering anymore.