The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Did my first few button braids today :)

3K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  Jrsfitpromo 
#1 ·
Aaand I'm pretty proud of myself! I know they arent perfect...but you have to start somewhere, right? Lol. If you havent read my intro post, heres a little background on the horse in the picture.

He is a palomino quarter horse and as of right now, my husband and I are just doing ground training with him. He was last ridden about two years ago and we have to start allll over again with him and his sister (Lacy.) We've been doing baby steps with them, yayy! And making progress, so, for him to stand still and let me do his hair is HUGE. What a good boy :D

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks! :) His mane is a bit too long for button braids, BUT, I still wanted to try it just for giggles. I did these just with some simple mini bands, the next round will be with some yarn braided in. I did a running braid last weekend. See picture below :) He was a good boy for that as well!

#5 ·
Have you tried keeping her occupied? I'm pretty quick at braiding..I went to cosmetology school to do hair..so, I can do about 5-6 button braids in 5 minutes lol Their not pretty yet, but its a start. As for my running braid, it took me about 10 minutes :) I cant ride Skip yet...but he lets me do whatever I want to his mane LOL :-p I havent tried his tail yet though. He likes to buck, so I'm pretty sure hed kick me. I'm DYING to get my hands on his tail and do a fishtail braid, or anything. He likes to rub up against posts and his tail is all scraggly. I really need to bag it so it can grow out. lol

#10 ·
they look great - especially for your first attempt !

I usually rosette when banding and roll when sewing....

Hay in a haynets great for keeping them occupied for plaiting as long as they arent tugging at it... I think my horses just get bored and go into a zone haha ...

#12 ·
:lol: Thanks to everyone!! I will be attempting again this weekend..along with some hunter braids, so I will be posting some new pictures. Hopefully, Lacy will stand still for me so I can do a few things on her. Her mane is a bit longer than Skips. Thanks for everyone's support :-p

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.