The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Need HELP tonight-eye injury-Gross photos (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/need-help-tonight-eye-injury-gross-85484/)

capades 05-01-2011 11:04 PM

Need HELP tonight-eye injury-Gross photos

3 Attachment(s)
Called 3 vets and all have said that it can wait until morning without even seeing it. I came home to find my 1yr old gelding with a large laceration of his lower eyelid. It is just hanging there with the fat pad from below his eye protruding. I have attached photos for those who can handle them though these are from the side and don't quite give the best view(if you can call it that ) of the damage. His eye looks fine bue as a new owner that has to wait until morning, I am not sure what I can do to protect it or make him feel better until then.
For those with any advice- thank you - but please note that I am new enough that I will only have typical household items to work with.

usandpets 05-01-2011 11:12 PM

Not sure if there would be anything you could do. I am surprised that one of the vets wouldn't come out. If you have a stall to put the horse in, that might be a good idea. Otherwise you'll just have to wait.

capades 05-01-2011 11:20 PM

That answer makes me sad, I want to do anything but wait. Thanks though!

capades 05-02-2011 12:24 AM

Does anyone have any suggestion as to what to wash it with? Do I need to keep it moist until tomorrow. I am afraid that they will not be able to stitch it closed as it will be at least 17 hrs old. I am sitting with him and just watching it swell :(

cosmomomo 05-02-2011 12:33 AM

Did the vets not tell you what you should do? Did you ask them the questions you asked on here? Personally, I would rinse it with a sterile saline solution. Like contact lens cleaner or something. I wouldn't use regular water because it isn't sterile, and would probably burn his eye. Not sure if it would burn the skin though, since it does have salt in it...hmm. I've never dealt with something like that =/ and you are really lucky since it doesn't seem like he's injured his actual eye. Maybe try looking up horse eye injuries elsewhere, and see what they say.

smrobs 05-02-2011 12:34 AM

I honestly don't know what advice to give you, poor guy. You might try calling more vets and explain that the lid is hanging off and you really believe it needs to be seen now.

I don't know if antibiotic ointment would be a good idea as I don't know if it would make his eye burn. Normal saline solution or purified water couldn't possibly hurt to kind of rinse it off and clean it up a bit, but I would be very leery of putting anything else on there for fear it would hurt his eyeball.

Golden Horse 05-02-2011 12:37 AM

Poor boy, how did he manage that??

The only thing I can suggest is my old standby is using a wet tea bag, either black or green tea as a compress. The tannins are good for reducing swelling and also for eye problems,

Quote:

Both green and black teas contain tannins, astringent compounds that help shrink swollen tissue and narrow blood vessels. Treat black eyes and bruises with a tea bag moistened with hot water. Teas is also rich in antioxidants and cooling to sunburns. Like black tea, green tea contains bioflavonoinds that can help reduce inflammation and fight viral and bacterial infection, but it has fewer tannins, the astringent chemicals that help shrink swollen tissues. Tea bags are a very handy remedy for pinkeye.

cosmomomo 05-02-2011 12:37 AM

Also, a fly mask might not be a bad idea, keeps bugs off and dust out.

capades 05-02-2011 12:44 AM

Thanks for the suggestions, I did just snag my sons saline and rinsed it. The only suggestion from the vet was triple antibiotic cream. Yea... He is a yearly that has only had human contact "aside from wormers and shots" for the past month and a half. I tried and tried and tried to get that ointment from the tube to the hanging skin for over an hour. 1. He wanted nothing to do with it regardless of the carrot and apple bribes. 2. On the rare occasion that I could touch it with the cream... it never left my hand . I guess because his flap was so slippery it stayed attached to my finger. The exposed fat pad (that does not show in the photos) is sooo swollen. I plan to continue to irrigate every few hours tonight just to keep it moist so his eyelashes etc do not stick to it.

capades 05-02-2011 12:48 AM

Cosmo- I appreciate your advice.. as for the flymask, that will be tomorrows investment. Having never owned horses and knowing that there are so many items to acquire to make life easier, more comfortable and safer, I have never caught up to buying everything and therefore buy each piece as needed. Of course if he had an flymask on already this may have never happened.
As for how, I have no idea. I left for work and they were grazing in my 4 acre yard. I will be searching for the area it happened in the morning as there has to be a lot of blood. It was all down his front and legs when I got home.