The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Freaking!! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/freaking-85550/)

mbender 05-02-2011 09:03 PM

Freaking!!

Just got a text from the people that took my mare and my filly in. I gave her my mare and I'm keeping the filly. Mare is 22yrs old and has now dropped close to 100lbs. I'm so upset it isn't funny. I'm here and she's way over there (Wisconsin). Killing me. So I told her to bump her grain up and make sure there is plenty of hay. She was only giving her maybe a lb. She's a hard keeper as it is.

So now I'm freaking out. Do you think ulcers can cause weight loss? She had her teeth done in November 2010. Has been wormed. Could she possibly be missing me? To me that is such a silly thought. But we were so closely bonded. I don't know. Should I have her try to up grain first and see in 2 weeks if she gains or have a vet out right away? Ahhh! Help!
Posted via Mobile Device

mbender 05-02-2011 09:04 PM

Bumping this
Posted via Mobile Device

raywonk 05-02-2011 09:07 PM

with a horse that age call a vet. once they lose weight it is so hard to keep them going. They can turn at any moment. I have had several oldder horses and you have to be carfull.

beauforever23 05-02-2011 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbender (Post 1021137)
Just got a text from the people that took my mare and my filly in. I gave her my mare and I'm keeping the filly. Mare is 22yrs old and has now dropped close to 100lbs. I'm so upset it isn't funny. I'm here and she's way over there (Wisconsin). Killing me. So I told her to bump her grain up and make sure there is plenty of hay. She was only giving her maybe a lb. She's a hard keeper as it is.

So now I'm freaking out. Do you think ulcers can cause weight loss? She had her teeth done in November 2010. Has been wormed. Could she possibly be missing me? To me that is such a silly thought. But we were so closely bonded. I don't know. Should I have her try to up grain first and see in 2 weeks if she gains or have a vet out right away? Ahhh! Help!
Posted via Mobile Device

I would definitely tell her to up her grain, especially at 22yrs old. Beau is a bit of a hard keeper too, so I know how it feels.

I don't know if ulcers can cause weight loss, I would assume they wouldn't but, I have never had to deal with ulcers. I would have a vet check her teeth again though just to be sure. I would wait about 2 weeks and than call the vet if nothing changes.

Weight doesn't come on in a snap of a finger though. I am sorry you have to go through this mbender. Hope your girl gets better soon

Hoofprints on my heart 05-02-2011 09:27 PM

I just read about ulcers in a recent smartpack mag and it sounds like all the right conditions have the person call the vet

mbender 05-03-2011 07:38 AM

I had a call from my farrier last night and she is going to go out there and check on her for me. And give the new owners some possible advice. She is a great friend. And very knowledgeable so I feel confident my old mare will get better. It just killed me when I saw the picture of her. Balled my eyes out! But hopefully we can get her back to a better weight. Its been so cold in Wisconsin so her trying to keep warm is not helping.
Posted via Mobile Device

Alwaysbehind 05-03-2011 12:11 PM

1 pound of hay?
Or 1 pound of grain?

In either case, it is not very much if the horse is not an easy keeper one pound of grain is not going to make it.

1 pound of hay is just scary so I am trying to assume you meant grain.

Ulcers can cause weight loss, for sure. So can any number of other things.

It sounds like they are not overly horse savvy.

mbender 05-03-2011 12:13 PM

Hey Always. I was waiting for you girls! No she gets hay 24/7 and only 1lb of grain. So I told her to up it. No they are not savvy at all but they try their best. I just wish they would have contacted me WAY earlier than this.
Posted via Mobile Device

Alwaysbehind 05-03-2011 12:20 PM

If she kept her wait on that amount of that grain before and is not now, it might also be the quality of the hay.

HowClever 05-03-2011 12:22 PM

How long has it been since she had her teeth looked at also?