The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   How to gain a horses trust with a few major problems? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/how-gain-horses-trust-few-major-85591/)

megansthehorse 05-03-2011 10:36 AM

How to gain a horses trust with a few major problems?

My sister recently bought a 3 year old off of a dealer, she got told he was very well handled and is able to be broken in as soon as she purchased him. But, that's where it all went wrong. My sisters horse is now 4, he doesn't let anyone touch the top of his head, he also doesn't like men around him. It's pretty hard to find a female farrier around here so we need to get him used to men asap.

Val is getting moved to our farm in a few weeks so me and my mum can work with him, I'd just like a few tips and pointers as to how I can gain trust in touching the top of his head and make him trust men in way so the farrier can tend to his feet.

Thanks x

ErikaLynn 05-03-2011 10:47 AM

get as many men as possible to touch his head all the time. He just needs to get used to it.

megansthehorse 05-03-2011 10:50 AM

Whenever anyone goes near his head, he flings it right up so no-one can reach it

Eolith 05-03-2011 10:52 AM

Try this, maybe... it's all a progression over time.

ErikaLynn 05-03-2011 10:57 AM

hold him outside and encourage him to bring his head down with a carrot. Once he brings his head down, give him a nibble of the carrot. Then try and pat his head, the whole time staying very calm, if he flings his head up, get him calm again and try and pat his head. Keep repeating until he lets you touch his head. Once he does, praise him and give him a piece of carrot. Then do it again. Just be patient.

I had a horse that didnt like her ears touched...it took years for me to be able to get a bridle on her without her freaking out. Eventually she realized she wasn't going to die when I put the bridle on. She also didn't like some men, but the men she did like were the ones that were patient and calm around her.

I think the big thing is to be very calm, and don't anticipate the problem.

megansthehorse 05-03-2011 10:59 AM

I shall try that, thankyou x

megansthehorse 05-03-2011 11:00 AM

yeah, I'm always calm around horses because i know that's the way to be around them. I shall try a few things to find the best one. thanks, i'll update on him soon x