The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pros & Cons to starchy feed?

6K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  MHFoundation Quarters 
#1 ·
Hello all.

We have several horses and like most people, want to watch our budgets. We're using Safe Choice right now but are thinking of moving to another feed. SC has 14% protein and 7% fat and this other one (Nutrena) has 12% protein and 8% fat. I'm all for cutting down on fat but this new one will save us 33% co$t per bag.

Sounds like a no brainer BUT the guy at the feed store then said "yeah but remember, Safe Choice is low in starch and this one isn't"

Hmmmmmmmm, I know (or think I know) starch converts to sugar and burns off 1st as energy. What doesn't get burned off stores as fat. Like I said, I THINK I KNOW. If that's wrong please correct me so we can all learn.

I'd like to hear everyones thoughts on moving to this new cheaper feed.
As well as the pros & cons to starch in a diet (low or high).

Thanks now to everyone replying.

#4 ·
SafeChoice is a type of feed made by Nutrena, is the cheaper feed a different type of feed made by Nutrena or was that a typo?

SafeChoice is made to cater to horses who can't have starch - those prone to obesity, high energy, founder, etc. It's a fantastic feed, but the average horse is not going to be bothered by a starchier feed. I am under the impression it is still a complete feed, and therefore not going to be straight starch like oats would be. We've used SafeChoice and Cool Command in the past to put weight on horses that certainly didn't need additional starch. A standard complete feed still isn't going to contain anywhere near enough starch for the average person to worry about, depending on your horses needs.

#5 · (Edited)
Nope, not a typo. It's in a white bag w/ a green wide stripe on it & a pic or 2 horses and just says "Horse Feed" and Nutrena on it, the back is solid white. The feed store calls it Nutrena 12/8.
It does not show amounts of lysine, Methionine (smudged & hard to read that one), thyronine, vitamins d and e, or biotin . I could have misspelled some, very hard to read tiny smudged print.

#6 ·
I honestly wouldn't feed either of them LOL Safe Choice really isn't that safe of a choice

why not go with a good vitamin/mineral and free choice hay or pasture?

#8 ·
depends on where you are located... Nutrena makes the Empower Balancer don't have sticker shock if you can find it... it only takes 1lb per day per horse and should be about $25 to $30 per 50 lbs

Purina makes Enrich32
Triple Crown is TC30% Supplement
Kent makes Topline32
Progressive Pro Grass Advantage
Buckeye Gro N Win

That is the major company ones

#9 · (Edited)
You can't buy product just based on price. How much is the cheaper product going to cost to feed? To get the same amount of nutrients you might be paying more in the long run than going with a costlier product.

Take for instance the SC at 15$ a bag, at 4# per day it will cost you $1.20. A ration balancer like the Enrich 32 at $27 a bag will cost you $.54. With cheaper feeds you might have to add other products as well than no longer make it a more economical choice. If you have horses that do well on just hay and pasture, the addition of concentrates is overkill. The biggest benefit of the concentrates is additional calories that can not be met with just forage. Even cheaper than the balancers is a simple vit/mineral supplement. You can offer it free choice or use it as a top dressing. It will be in a granular form looking like sand. If it's pelletized than you can't offer it free choice because it has added feed products and they will eat it like candy. IMO the best national product out there is the regular Grostrong ($.16/2oz). Another good product is made by Progressive Nutrition. Look for something around 16% Ca, 8% P, 100,000 IU Vit A and less than 20% salt. Purina and MP put out a similar product with much lower levels. You might find your local feed mill puts out a good product that complements your local forages. (they will use it to mix their grain blends).

Don't be fearfull of added fat in a grain concentrate. Fats offer concentrated calories without the risk of digestive disturbances. They can't colic or founder on it, it improves hair and coat, straight fat (oils) are a cheaper source of calories than grains, they help regulate blood glucose....

#10 ·
I feed Gro n win. Per Gunnars weight and activity he gets 1 and 1/4 lbs. It comes to 2 and 1/2 coffee cups per day. I love it. I'm already noticing healthier softer shiny mane and tail, his hooves look good and solid. I'm really impressed with the results. I pay 27.50/ 50lb bag. It lasts 33 days :) And smells great :) like apples!
Posted via Mobile Device

#11 ·
Personally, I suggest calling your vet and asking for their opinion. Mine gets Strategy and does great on it. I asked my vet when I got him and she suggested it. I've also had vets suggest safe choice for hypp horses, ulcer prone horses, and an ottb. Different vets, different horses. Safe choice isn't an unsafe grain. It just isn't some people's preference. There's nothing wrong wroth feeding it and the average horse does fine with the amount of starch in it , which is low compared to some other popular grains.
Posted via Mobile Device

#12 ·
Mine wouldn't eat safe choice. I think the 12\8 green & white bag is nutrena's version of sweet feed.

I have a friend who has hers on SC & they look great, they add probios in their feeds & was less costly so I tried it, they all snubbed their noses at it, so I still feed Strategy GX to the majority & Ultium Growth to the youngsters. I've considered switching them all to a balancer like topline 32, but can't find decent oats to feed with it in my area.
Posted via Mobile Device

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.