The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Will my horse still trust me? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/will-my-horse-still-trust-me-85645/)

xXWildFlowerXx 05-03-2011 09:49 PM

Will my horse still trust me?

So I'm training my horse to let me ride her, plus trying to bathe her so I can get her clean, and maybe the flies will leave her alone. Yes, I am going to put fly repel stuff for horses on her legs, where they bite mostly, and put on her fly mask tomorrow.

But today I had an effect with the bath. Apparently, this horse "loved" water when she was little, but now she completely HATE'S it and is completely terrified of water. I'm taking another trainers advice and starting with a small drizzle from her legs and up, but she just goes crazy. Today she broke out of the corral I had her in, because the water spooked her so much.

I'm thinking this was a VERY BAD idea of teaching her, because I do not want to lose her trust in me, because of being possibly thrown off her when I ride her tomorrow, which is my plan, for letting me set on her and her being calm. So I have to post on here. Do you think my horse will let me on her back, spite of that incident that I tried to make up to her with a carrot and a good grooming today?

Gosh I hope she will still trust me! I only have three months to do three things.

Cherie 05-03-2011 10:08 PM

Trust does not come from being her friend and coddling her -- it comes from being 'in charge' and getting her to respect you and do whatever you want. Any time you back off from doing something because a horse throws a fit, the horse is training you instead of you training the horse.

I would not ride her until I had her a lot more respectful and obedient on the ground.

Horses get to the point where they think they are terrified of something by throwing a fit and having people 'back off' when they do. If a person does that a few times, the horse is thoroughly convinced to throw a ring-tailed fit if you let them even think you are going to push the matter. They can turn it into a complete phobia.

This needs to be turned around before you are going to get very much of anything done to teach her anything. She will not trust your leadership skills until you have the skill to get her to do things like stand for a bath.

kevinshorses 05-03-2011 10:11 PM

Do your horse a favor and hire a trainer. If you can't bathe a horse you SHOULD NOT be trying to train one.

xXWildFlowerXx 05-03-2011 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kevinshorses (Post 1022554)
Do your horse a favor and hire a trainer. If you can't bathe a horse you SHOULD NOT be trying to train one.

That was rude.. I can bathe her, today she just threw a fit about it because she hasn't been bathed since last summer due to the cold weather.

JustDressageIt 05-03-2011 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kevinshorses (Post 1022554)

Agreed. This is a recipe for disaster.

Was she tied, or were you spraying her while she was loose? Your post makes me think you might have had her loose? You don't need your horse to be your bestest friend - you need your horse to respect you and your space. Your horse won't hate you forever for bathing her - she's simply afraid of the hose/water, and you need to train her that it's not a bad thing - and that comes through respect. I'm afraid you'll teach her very quickly that if she reacts poorly to something she doesn't like, she gets coddled and patted.... that's kind of like spoiling a child when they do something wrong. If your kid didn't want a bath and threw a fit, would you offer him a candy bar and say "it's ok, you can stink to high heaven forever!" No. You would tell him to get his sorry butt in the shower.

xXWildFlowerXx 05-03-2011 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cherie (Post 1022551)
Trust does not come from being her friend and coddling her -- it comes from being 'in charge' and getting her to respect you and do whatever you want. Any time you back off from doing something because a horse throws a fit, the horse is training you instead of you training the horse.

I would not ride her until I had her a lot more respectful and obedient on the ground.

Horses get to the point where they think they are terrified of something by throwing a fit and having people 'back off' when they do. If a person does that a few times, the horse is thoroughly convinced to throw a ring-tailed fit if you let them even think you are going to push the matter. They can turn it into a complete phobia.

This needs to be turned around before you are going to get very much of anything done to teach her anything. She will not trust your leadership skills until you have the skill to get her to do things like stand for a bath.

I never did give up... She got out, then I had to give up because it was getting dark anyway. I am already the alpha horse, as she listens and respects me, and come's to me whenever I enter her pasture. She's obedient and respective towards me always on the ground, however. I'm sure I'll get the bath problem smoothed out in a breeze.

JustDressageIt 05-03-2011 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xXWildFlowerXx (Post 1022565)
That was rude.. I can bathe her, today she just threw a fit about it because she hasn't been bathed since last summer due to the cold weather.

Horses don't forget things like that. They DO know when they can walk all over someone though. They know when they can get away with murder and they definitely learn that if they act up around the right people, they get out of work.
Get tough. Don't let this horse decide, you say "you're going to stand nicely for a bath" and you make it happen... preferably with professional help that can teach you how to handle your horse.

xXWildFlowerXx 05-03-2011 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustDressageIt (Post 1022572)
Agreed. This is a recipe for disaster.

Was she tied, or were you spraying her while she was loose? Your post makes me think you might have had her loose? You don't need your horse to be your bestest friend - you need your horse to respect you and your space. Your horse won't hate you forever for bathing her - she's simply afraid of the hose/water, and you need to train her that it's not a bad thing - and that comes through respect. I'm afraid you'll teach her very quickly that if she reacts poorly to something she doesn't like, she gets coddled and patted.... that's kind of like spoiling a child when they do something wrong. If your kid didn't want a bath and threw a fit, would you offer him a candy bar and say "it's ok, you can stink to high heaven forever!" No. You would tell him to get his sorry butt in the shower.

No, I had her tied. The tie broke, because my cousin who was helping, didn't tie it right. I'll remember not to cuddle and pat her again if she gets mad about a bath. This time I'll try to be in the corral instead of outside, as I was doing a stupid thing standing outside.

xXWildFlowerXx 05-03-2011 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustDressageIt (Post 1022576)
Horses don't forget things like that. They DO know when they can walk all over someone though. They know when they can get away with murder and they definitely learn that if they act up around the right people, they get out of work.
Get tough. Don't let this horse decide, you say "you're going to stand nicely for a bath" and you make it happen... preferably with professional help that can teach you how to handle your horse.

I can handle her, thats not the thing. Tomorrow I'll try something different by being inside with her, and not outside. Maybe thats more comforting than being outside.

Dressage10135 05-03-2011 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xXWildFlowerXx (Post 1022581)
I can handle her, thats not the thing. Tomorrow I'll try something different by being inside with her, and not outside. Maybe thats more comforting than being outside.

That's your problem right there. Forget "comforting", you need your horse to respect you as a leader and should be willing to stand still wherever you want/need her to.