The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

what kind of bit is this??

6K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  OnlySamwise 
#1 ·
When I got my first horse this bit came with her.

#5 ·
I've never seen one like that either! I can't see how something so wide could comfortably rest without banging teeth at some point. Curious to find out the answer if anyone has seen one.

#6 ·
It's a flat mouth roping bit. The width actually makes it comfortable for the horse as it spreads the pressure out over a larger area. It is not a bit I would use personally, but it's not as torturous as it appears.

Here's similar bits:
Black Satin Work Bit: Saddles Tack Horse Supplies - ChickSaddlery.com
Rutledge Roper
Cowboy Shanks

"Often misunderstood, it looks to be severe but when ridden with a medium to tight curb the mouthpiece will lay flat on the bars, over a wide area, touching more and many new nerves. Often used successfully on horses with damaged tongue or bars, the unique floating shank allows the curb to be drawn from side to side for another totally new feel. Many riders who have tried this bit say it works OK the first day, better the next day, better the next and by the end of the week cannot believe the control they have regained."

Mikmar uses a similar design.
MikMar Training Bit - Low Port Mouthpiece Mikmar Bit Company (Equine - Supplies Tack - Bits - Worki

#7 ·
That bit is extremely rusted, and I'm very glad that you don't plan to use it on her! Luvs2Ride is right though, it is a flat mouth. A friend of mine uses one and he keeps very nice control of his gelding. However, it seems to me as if it encourages the horse to open it's mouth when riding, although that could have something to do with the curbs on the end and the way the rider is holding them...I'm not sure. IMO If you're going to transition her, I'd recommend a nice thick rubber snaffle or something though, since she's probably really used to having a full mouthpiece and bringing her to a thin piece of metal might confuse her or make her resist it.

#10 ·
When I got her this bit was just with her stuff.. they were using a snaffle on her. She passed away in February :cry: ... but I have another mare coming on the 19th :wink: . I was just curious about the bit that's why I was asking. Thanks everybody for your input! :)

#8 ·
Rutledge Roper. Has to be used with a tight curb. Good for horses who have injured tongues.

Rutledge Roper

Sometimes called a "Cut-Tongue Bit" because it works well on horses who have previously injured their tongues and don't respond well to other bits as a result, the Rutledge Roper is a unique take on the shanked bit. It looks more severe than it is, but this is still a relatively heavy bit that should only be used on experienced, broke horses. The shanks move independently, meaning that rein-tightening on one side picks up the shank for that side, enacting the curb more to that side. The broad, flat mouthpiece lies on top of the tongue over a wide area and works off of different pressure points than any other bit. The curb is the first to engage when pressure is applied and the shanks swing back. When it has tightened as far as it can go, the mouthpiece is rolled back onto the tongue. For this reason, the curb should be kept relatively tight to prevent the mouthpiece reaching the vertical and jabbing the thin edge into the lips and tongue.

It serves to put a good rate on a horse. Its design also keeps a horse's head straight and prevents it from over-flexing.

As its name suggests, the Rutledge Roper is used most often by ropers who need a quick, straight stop, or by barrel racers riding extra-bendy horses or those who need help rating.

Read more: http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tac...tive-bits-bitting-thread-80457/#ixzz1LOyM4gom

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.