The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Member Journals (http://www.horseforum.com/member-journals/)
-   -   My Riding Lesson Journal :) (http://www.horseforum.com/member-journals/my-riding-lesson-journal-85706/)

wishingforahorse 05-04-2011 03:04 PM

My Riding Lesson Journal :)

So I'm starting a riding lesson journal, so that I can keep track of what I need to work on.. and people have told me that I should write after every riding lesson.

I'm visiting with family right now so I can't type for long..or my mom will tell me that I'm being anti-social. She ran to Walmart for a 'minute', but it will be MUCH longer..haha.

So my first riding lesson..was what..3 weeks ago? Had a great time and I rode a beautiful bay, Paulina. She's an American Quarter Horse and came from the West, which I think is pretty cool. I really don't know why though..I guess it's because I think of Cowboys. haha We worked on control of the horse and just stayed at a walk. Towards the end-I'm not sure if I'm mixing it with my 2nd lesson-we trotted a little. I think I've posted on this forum about my first and second riding lesson. Oh well.

Second riding lesson I rode Paulina again. When I was on her she felt like she was tripping over herself. When I pointed this out to my instructor, she said that she just noticed..and that she is going lame in that leg again. This isn't the first time. We went easy with her and stayed at a walk. My instructor had me tell her when the front, inner hoof left the ground and then when it touched. And then with the outer hoof.

Third riding lesson I rode Winston. He's bigger than Paulina and that kind of made me nervous. I made a fool out of myself when I went to get him out of the pasture. Deda has a lot of land and I couldn't figure out how to get to Winston. Atleast I put the rope halter on right! haha That would of been embarrassing! This was by far my funnest lesson though. I will admit that I was nervous at first. Oh and I got to canter! It was a lot of fun. I didn't have to worry about controlling the horse, because she had put us on a line. At one point the horse moved fast a certain way..(can't explain it) and I almost fell off. Luckily I got back in my seat/saddle(whatever you want to call it). The instructor said it so calmly. I'm so afraid of falling off. You're supposed to let go of the reigns, take your feet out of the stirrups and keep your arms behind you...how the heck are you supposed to do all of that?? Maybe I'll fall on my next lesson, so that I can quit worrying about nothing.

Oh and my helmet kept sliding off. The tack store person said that it fit perfect! Guess not. I put more padding in it(it came with some for adjusting). Deda said that I could try putting my hair in a low pony tail..and that might help. So I bought some elastic bands.

K, my aunt just called me anti-social. I better get off.. So I'm supposed to sit on the couch and listen to them talk about who knows what? I'd rather look at threads on here anyday.

So my next riding lesson is tomorow. Now that I know how to get the horse out of the pasture, I can show up 15 minutes early to grab Winston and brush him.

I'll add more to this later..now my grandma wants to go on. That's one thing that I'm saving up for..my own lap top. I'll post tomorow.

wishingforahorse 05-05-2011 06:37 PM

Had my fourth riding lesson today! Pretty much was just a review of my last lesson. Got to canter again and did pretty good. I'm definitely improving. Asked my mom to stop in and watch for a few minutes..but she never did. She didn't get out of work until late..but now I don't have any pictures or a video :(

So I never realised how heavy western saddles are. Much heavier than the english saddles. Which of course you can tell by looking..but wow..I could barely get the saddle on Winston. It might just be because I'm not the strongest out of the bunch..

I can't believe I have to wait a week for my next lesson. This sucks. The good thing is that when I get better and can be independent, my riding instructor said that I can exercise her horses for her. That will be awesome!

wishingforahorse 05-11-2011 04:07 PM

I had such a fun time today! I arrived early for my lesson so that I can catch Winston and get him groomed, that way we'd be ready. When I got there, everyone was over by one stall..so I walked over curious to what they were doing. They had a horse dentist cleaning their horses's teeth. I got to watch for a little bit..but then remembered that I had to go get Winston. When I finally got to the horses(they were so far away!), I couldn't tell them apart. Two of them looked like him, and both of them had grazing muzzles on. Just great..can't even tell them apart.. Walked back to the barn, and the boarder was watching me and asked if I needed helped. She told me which one was Winston..and then off I went again, with the boarder and my instructor. So I already made a fool out of myself..

I was almost done brushing him, when my instructor asked me if I wanted to watch one of the horse's get it's teeth done. Of course I said yes, and I got to help him! All I had to do was hold the lead. It was very neat to see how it's done. They asked me something about the beans on a horse and if I wanted to do it. They were all laughing..but I had no clue of what they were talking about. It was so disgusting!

k..I'll add more on later..Family wants me to play a game with them and they wont leave me alone!

wishingforahorse 05-11-2011 05:56 PM

I had asked my mom and gram if they wanted to watch me ride, and they ended up showing up when they were doing the 'bean removal'..hahaha. So after that we tacked the horse and then I mounted and was just walking and trotting. My instructor wanted to get on the horse to show me something, so I got off. When I was getting off, my hoodie got caught on the horn of the saddle. I couldn't get it off! I was just hanging there. The instructor and her husband had to lift me up! That was embarassing. I'm just glad the horse didn't take off. Boy that would suck.

My mom, gram and aunt got to see me canter though. :) I'm getting better each time! This time she taught me the cue for the canter..but I kind of forgot which foot goes back more than the other when turning. I'm pretty sure if I'm turning left, my left foot goes more forward and my right foot is more back, and then my left hand is forward. Not sure. I'll have to look that up somewhere.

We did a lot of work today on posting to the trot. I'm getting the hang of it. My instructor is on vacation next week..which really sucks.

gigem88 05-13-2011 02:09 PM

Have you thought about video taping your lessons?

wishingforahorse 05-16-2011 07:24 PM

[QUOTE=gigem88;1033376]Have you thought about video taping your lessons?[/QU Yes, but I either forget my camcorder or I have no one to video tape me. :(
Posted via Mobile Device

fuadteagan 05-19-2011 09:03 PM

Actually, I don't think that you should canter in your 3rd lesson. You should be able to walk and trot PERFECTLY with a balanced seat and body! You need to know how to use leg cues, the rein cues, ect. When you can do that then you can canter!

Jessskater 05-19-2011 11:54 PM

I agree with faudteagan ^

wishingforahorse 05-20-2011 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fuadteagan (Post 1040726)
Actually, I don't think that you should canter in your 3rd lesson. You should be able to walk and trot PERFECTLY with a balanced seat and body! You need to know how to use leg cues, the rein cues, ect. When you can do that then you can canter!

My instructor had the horse on a line. She just wanted me to get a taste of what it feels like. It wasn't really my third lesson though. My lessons are 2-3 hours long, so you could really count it as my 6-9th lesson. Before coming to this barn, I also got to ride a bit with my dad. I had two small lessons with him, so then you could count my third lesson as my 10th.

I have a balanced seat and body with the walk and trot. I also feel balanced with the canter. I find it easier than the trot. When I get a video next week, I'll post it in the critique section and see from there.

wishingforahorse 05-29-2011 01:36 PM

Had a riding lesson today. Got there early and got Winston out of the pasture. Got him all brushed, but wasn't sure if I was allowed to get his saddle on. My riding instructor helped me get Winston tacked and then we were off. Did some more work on posting to the trot, and I got to canter some today too off line for the first time. That was a lot of fun and is much more comfortable than the trot.

I've been working on keeping Winston from slowing down when we turn/when we reach where the intrustor is and my focus. I'm getting much better though. I kept Winston along the wall at a steady trot going past my riding instructor.

Then we rinsed him off, used the sweat scraper, and he was all set to go back with his friends.