The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Showmanship (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-showmanship/)
-   -   Resting his foot when Squaring up (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-showmanship/resting-his-foot-when-squaring-up-85724/)

gizpeptig 05-04-2011 07:12 PM

Resting his foot when Squaring up

1 Attachment(s)
When I am in a halter class or practicing at home I can get my horse square but he always props up one of his back feet like he is resting it. At home I will fight by pushing his weight off one side and making sure he won't shift to the other side, and after a bit of struggle he will finally give up and stand squared perfectly. However, at a show I can't get him to put his foot down. Below is a picture of my fustrastion.. Any advice?

equiniphile 05-04-2011 07:36 PM

Interested in the responses to this one.

cakemom 05-04-2011 09:32 PM

Me too, because Red does this at the end of each dressage test, the twerp.
Posted via Mobile Device

Annanoel 05-05-2011 01:44 PM

My guy does this to, so frustrating. It's always a different foot too, I'd love to hear some advice.

Spastic_Dove 05-05-2011 01:49 PM

The only thing I've found is repetition. As soon as he goes to rest his foot, get after him. The horse should understand that when he has his chain on, it's time to work.

In the picture I would have asked him to square his front end up anyway which should have resulted in him balancing his back feet.

You don't have to make it a big fight, but just practice. As soon as he rests you should ask him work (say a pivot or back) and then square immediately. Then go back to your position.

Sorry I don't have any magical advice aside from practice :?

Gidget 05-05-2011 03:00 PM

what I was taught is take their tail and pull it to the side the foot is resting...this will make the horse put his foot down...if he puts his hoof up again tug on his tail and then when he puts the weight on his foot reward him.

Could he have a sore foot or has he been this way the whole time?

raywonk 05-06-2011 02:33 PM

At home I back him up and then ask agien if he dose it agien we back. when he stands square we stand abit and then walk out of it. At the show i will lift my chain up and forward if it is the back foot and up and back if it is the front foot. I work on seating up everytime I lead my horse some wear practice makes perfict.

gizpeptig 05-07-2011 02:20 PM

Thanks guys! I will try some of your tips!
Spastic Dove, yeah we were squaring up when the picture was taken.. I was trying to get his back foot atleast in line with his other back foot then get his front feet in square.
Gidget, no I don't believe it is sore because he does it all the time... and he isn't lame when I trot him or ride him.

kstinson 05-10-2011 10:09 AM

the one thing i have found, and actually learned this at a clinic for showmanship at an expo.

When a horse does that, you ut your hand on the side of the tail and pull it towards the direction you want them to put their weight.

So if you want them to put their weight back on their left leg, pull from the right side of the tail at the top (when i say pull, i don't mean pull the actual strands, but the base of the tail gently) and they will shift their weight. As soon as your hose does that i would give it a rub tell him how great he is and eventually they learn to just square up and stand even.

As you do this use a word like 'even' or something so as he gets to understand that touching the tail means square up he will associate the word with it and you can work towards just using the word to get him even.

The guy at the clinic said he makes all of his kids get their horses parked before and after a ride. I make my mare park out at least one time during a session, and if i am leading her around i park her out every time we stop. She now squares up even when I am in the saddle bc of the routine.

repetition, repetition, repetition...

Paint Mom 05-10-2011 08:56 PM

Pull the tail in the direction of the cocked leg to get the horse to shift it's weight so he isn't resting it anymore. Really works.