The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Please help before my buddy gets killed!

2K views 10 replies 11 participants last post by  Alwaysbehind 
#1 ·
A friend of mine bought a 15 y/o Tennesee Walker Gelding. When we first went to look at him he was probably the calmest horse on the ground that I've ever been around. ( And still is). We both rode him in the seller's arena and he was awesome! Then my buddy went with the gal that was selling him to some mountain trails to make sure that he was what he wanted. After he rode him that day, he decided that this was the horse for him. Well, after a week of being in my pasture and riding him around here ( everything great) he has turned into a maniac. Two days ago we were crossing the paved rode at my place to ride the trails and he refuses to go through the mud and freaks out and starts rearing up ( almost clear over backwards) then he went down right on the pavement. Then last night he was riding him in the pasture (I was on one of mine). I said " lets race back to the barn" we took off and I went straight to the barn and his veered off and tried to take him out on the only two tree's in the pasture! Then he couldn't get him stopped and they both went for a tumble across the field. Luckily, they both hopped right up. Any suggestion's would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Jason

#2 ·
Your buddy needs a professional to figure out what's wrong with his horse, not random people on the internet.

Could be his riding, could be a bad saddle fit, could be any number of physical issues with the horse.

If your friend hasn't had any formal training, he could be annoying and confusing the animal. You know, kicking the horse while having a death grip on the reins. You've got a GO and STOP signal right there.

#3 ·
I actually find this to happen a lot when horses get over their adjustment period or while they are going through it.
The biggest thing I try to tell people is (And believe me, I'm no expert or anything!) that any horse you purchase and move, be ready to start it all over again. A lot of times it won't take a COMPLETE restart, but some times it will.
It sounds like your friend needs to do a bit more work here. There seem to be respect issues among other things.
When you buy a horse a lot of people expect to hop on and ride and the rest is history, sometimes that is the case. Most times not so much.

I'd say that more ground work needs to be done and some boundaries need to be set and respect issues addressed. The horse got his way once or twice and so now he does what he sees fit to get his way when he feels like it, is what I am seeing.

I'd say start right back from the ground and move up, but take time to do it. Start now, before your buddy AND his horse get hurt.
In my opinion.
Good Luck.

#4 ·
I second SR. Can be lots of things: fit, soreness, being sedated or weared out when your friend purchased him. Anything. Rule out the pain and fit (saddle, girth, bit, bridle) and if it won't help look into someone experienced (trainer) to evaluate the horse.

#5 ·
along with what others have said, Running back to the barn is never a good idea. I used to know some one hat would do that only on occation, but the horse eventualy went nutso. as soon as they would come around the corner and the horse could see the barn VROOM! could not be stopped, or turned.

#7 ·
I said " lets race back to the barn" we took off and I went straight to the barn and his veered off and tried to take him out on the only two tree's in the pasture! Then he couldn't get him stopped and they both went for a tumble across the field. Luckily, they both hopped right up. Any suggestion's would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Jason
YOU put your friend in danger with the suggestion of the race. He's had issues with the horse and then you challenge him to a race where the horse will become more agitated?? Shame!

#8 ·
I don't race with my horse... He's already a racehorse event though he never ran in a race, and I don't want to arouse some race instinct and get totally forgotten while I'm on his back! It's way too dangerous... Even on the beach I never really get in the mood "let's race!", we gallop, I check if he's listening to me and then I let him speed up for a while, constantly checking his ears, how he looks, and I know I can stop him. But I would absolutely never head back home at full speed, not even in a trot... We always walk back and I'm often walking just ahead of him to have him calm...

I would say, too, get some help, it could be many many things that make him act crazy...

#9 ·
I agree with everyone else running back to the barn is a big NO NO.. you are asking for trouble in the very near future. If you want to lope or run, do it going away from the barn. That is one habit you will find you do not want to have! Been there, didnt listen, and learned the hard way as I was layed out on the barn floor and my horse was happily in his stall....The horse I was on was probably the most safe horse I have ever owned would not hurt a fly babysitter type horse and he still became out of control from doing this. Please protect yourself and your friend!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.