The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   So it rained for the first time in weeks! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/so-rained-first-time-weeks-85773/)

Sarahandlola 05-05-2011 12:32 PM

So it rained for the first time in weeks!

Wow saying that makes me feel I am not in ireland! It has been sunny and dry for like a month now! Maybe some drizzle on and off...

But yesterday it started really raining. Horrible, heavy showers. Lola has not had her rug on since march. So yesterday I bring her in because I feel so bad looking at her in the rain! And she is shivering!! All over! I nearly died! And my rugs were at home so I borrowed one of the BO's rugs. First though I put her cooler rug on until she dried up and stopped shivering. Then I put the rug on and put her out. Today I brought her in and she is still shivering! Even with the rug...And her flanks have totally sunken in!! Grrr! When she had lost a lot of weight a few months ago her flanks were sunken in then so I thought it was the weight but today she is a perfect weight! And they sunk in over night...! Yesterday they were fine...

Here is a picture of what she did look like in the last few weeks..

http://i443.photobucket.com/albums/q...ane/003-31.jpg

Now she still has the belly but the flanks are bad! Someone said she was sucking in..Why? To keep warm?

I put her cooler rug on again today and put the other rug in the drier. She is now out again. There was a pretty heavy shower once but since then it has been dry...The weather is also very thundery...There has been no thunderstorms yet but I would say we will get a few soon. Are horses ok in thunderstorms? Someone came today and said she is keeping her horse in because she does not want him to be hit by lightning?! Is the risk really that high? And do horses know if there will be a thunderstorm? All of the school ponies have been soooo spooky these last few days. And these are all extremely quiet ponies. In one lesson every single one of them spooked at the same time and galloped off to the other end of the arena..It was the weirdest thing I have ever seen!

So yeah back to Lola..Should I keep the rug on her or take it off? Since it is not really working and it is just extra weight when it is wet =/

mls 05-05-2011 12:36 PM

Did you check her skin tenting? To me it sounds as though she is dehydrated.

Sarahandlola 05-05-2011 12:40 PM

Oh sugar no! She was in a different paddock last night so maybe she did not find the water, Although the paddock is tiny and not hard to find...Unless there was no water..And of course I did not offer her water because I only brought her in to get her warmed up!! How stupid of me! Anyways I put her back into her normal field and she knows where the water is there so hopefully she will drink some if she is dehydrated..I cannot get out to her until tomorrow. I feel so stupid now!!

MaggiStar 05-05-2011 01:05 PM

Leave her out in thunder and lighntening as if she spooks in the field the hances of her going crazy are slimmer then in the stable she can seriously injure herself in the stable,
Also its the highest point in an area that is at risk of lightening which is why churches have lightening rods attached to them

Sarahandlola 05-05-2011 01:11 PM

I won't be keeping her in..Someone else wants to keep there horse in. And hopefully if it does happen the horses will not be standing on the huge hill in the field XD Nah I would say they will all be standing at the bottom of the hill where they usually go when it rains.

Sarahandlola 05-06-2011 04:44 AM

Ok so I am going to check on her today! Hopefully she is back to normal =/