The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/)
-   -   Could my mare be in foal? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/could-my-mare-foal-85789/)

Gingerpony 05-05-2011 05:33 PM

Could my mare be in foal?

hello,I am searching for a bit of help. Recently a 2yr old at our yard was gelded,my mare was in the field next to him and I know before then they were quite friendly towards eachother. About 2 weeks after he was castrated the owner of him asked if I could put my 5yr old mare in with him for a short time to get him used to other horses in the same field as him.But I am slightly worried that he could have got her pregnant as I know some people say you should put newly gelded horses out with mares for about 4 months just to be safe. After about a week I moved her back into her old field but they seemed very attached. When I'd take her in he would constantly be calling her and when I put her back out she would ignor the other mare in her field and go straight to the fence and wait for him to come over. I'm just worried that something might of happened and i think she might have been on heat and i have seen her back up to geldings before...:? I really want to no because i'm worrying as I know quite a few mares at our yard have become in foal but we have no idea who the male is as there is only geldings and mares at our yard but 3 haven't long been castrated...:?:D

natisha 05-05-2011 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gingerpony (Post 1024578)
hello,I am searching for a bit of help. Recently a 2yr old at our yard was gelded,my mare was in the field next to him and I know before then they were quite friendly towards eachother. About 2 weeks after he was castrated the owner of him asked if I could put my 5yr old mare in with him for a short time to get him used to other horses in the same field as him.But I am slightly worried that he could have got her pregnant as I know some people say you should put newly gelded horses out with mares for about 4 months just to be safe. After about a week I moved her back into her old field but they seemed very attached. When I'd take her in he would constantly be calling her and when I put her back out she would ignor the other mare in her field and go straight to the fence and wait for him to come over. I'm just worried that something might of happened and i think she might have been on heat and i have seen her back up to geldings before...:? I really want to no because i'm worrying as I know quite a few mares at our yard have become in foal but we have no idea who the male is as there is only geldings and mares at our yard but 3 haven't long been castrated...:?:D

She sure could be. You should have her checked by a vet ASAP. If you don't want a baby the pregnancy could be terminated.

Juna 05-05-2011 07:37 PM

It sounds like you most likely have a pregnant mare now. If you don't want the foal, the earlier you have her ultrasounded by a vet the easier it will be to terminate the pregnancy. I would call the vet ASAP. Good luck!!

Ladybug2001 05-05-2011 11:32 PM

Its possible but not absolute going on she was in with a recently gelded stallion. If no one seen him mount her and you are not positive she was in heat, get a vet out either way. So like Juna said, if you don't wish to have a foal you can terminate it early enough, or if you do wish to have a foal you will be able to consult with a vet throughout the pregnancy.

Gingerpony 05-06-2011 02:52 AM

oh,dear...who long should you really leave a newly gelded gelding befor putting it out with mares? and I think we might keep it if she is as she already be about a month into her pregnancy...

ArabianLover2456 05-06-2011 03:41 AM

Seems to be like you WANTED her to get pregnant

drafts4ever 05-06-2011 03:51 AM

Call me stupid but can newly gelded geldings still do the deed with an effective result? I always thought once a gelding they can mount but since they have no balls and no semen it's all up to time to just get the stallion behavior out of their system? Pregnancy wouldn't be an issue being pasture with a gelding right since they're a gelding.

MHFoundation Quarters 05-06-2011 07:33 AM

^I don't think anyone will call you stupid. Ask questions, get answers. That's how we learn :)

Yes, a newly cut gelding can impregnate a mare. Even though they remove the testicles & the majority of sperm, there will still be live sperm in the portion of the vas deferens that stays inside. My personal vet suggests allowing 9 weeks for the leftovers to die. For the amt of time you will get varied answers, but yes they most certainly still have the ability for awhile.
Posted via Mobile Device

Juna 05-06-2011 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gingerpony
...my mare was in the field next to him and I know before then they were quite friendly towards each other.

Depending on what type of fencing separated them, the 2 yr old might have gotten the mare pregnant before he was gelded. They can breed through a fence quite easily if it's not solid panels. When there's a will there's a way. LOL

Gingerpony 05-06-2011 11:16 AM

Hmmm....
BTW arabianlover- I didn't want her getting pregnant as she is only my first pony,i just wanted to get things cleared up just so i have an idea, I know my mum isnt best pleased but she's only mentioned once about termination,and then she thought about keeping it so I'm not sure,but noooo her getting pregnant wasn't the plan,lol :)