The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Oh wow, help? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/oh-wow-help-8591/)

Gingerrrrr 05-04-2008 05:59 PM

Oh wow, help?

i dint know where to post this so here i go...

okay so today i go to the barn and theres a note on my tack box. so i open it up and it reads " To all Ginger caretakers. Due to rising costs of grain (over $5.00 a bag) and hay (will now cost $3300 annually) and bedding and fencing and diesal things will change as follows!

As of 6/1/08 new boarding price $275 a month.

As of 9/1/08 new board will be $300 a month.

You will still be liably for Fly Spray (or buy your own) Add $15 a month for fly spray if your not going to buy your own. Plus the price of vet, farrier, and worming.

As of right now i pay $250 a month.

I understand the price of everything is raising so board must go up but this place i board at isnt even worth $300 a month. There just building a small arena for us to work the horses. Other then that the only places we could ride were on the dirt road and in the pasture. Also the horses are on pasture board. Next door there is a farm that boards and there pasture board is $300 a month too but it includes- lighted indoor arena, 60' outdoor round pen, and and outdoor arena. There are also 20 stalls, 14 paddocks, and a tack shed. The only downside about this place is there are atleast 40 horses there and there paddocks are mostly on hills and are jsut dirt with no grass for the horses to eat. Im really stuck because i have know idea what to do! Im still debating on weather to sell Ginger and get a more calmer horse and then move or just sell Gigner all together. I dont know. Id really love to have a hrose still but i dont know! ughh.

SonnyWimps 05-04-2008 06:01 PM

I pay $300 for pasture board...but then again I have access to 100+ trails and an indoor...if you think it's too much then move or compare other prices...that's what I did when I was searching for a place to board...I called every place, asked for month price for board, and what they offered.
Talk to the barn owner and see if you can work some of the money off

Gingerrrrr 05-04-2008 06:04 PM

i called all over and $300 is the cheapest in my area. The BO probably wont let me work off any board because for 1 theres hardly anything to do and 2 she really needs the money or else she wont be able to afford the horses. She told me she has had no choice but to up the board.

buckaroo2010 05-04-2008 06:10 PM

Oh wow thats horrible maybe you can find a cheaoer place to board ginger! $300 for board thats ridicoulse!!!

BluMagic 05-04-2008 06:12 PM

For a corral, automatic water, and access to most all the fairgrounds...it's only $22.50. But it only really offers the pen and water.

PoptartShop 05-04-2008 06:33 PM

Wow, that is terrible. :( That place deff. doesn't sound like it's worth $300. But look around for other places.

Gingerrrrr 05-04-2008 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PoptartShop
Wow, that is terrible. :( That place deff. doesn't sound like it's worth $300. But look around for other places.

i think the most they should be charging at the place i board at now should be $200. The problem is is that my parents can barely afford to pay $250 right now so my gramma pays half. And the next cheapest place to board at is $300. Everything else is between 500-1200.

SonnyWimps 05-04-2008 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gingerrrrr
Quote:

Originally Posted by PoptartShop

i think the most they should be charging at the place i board at now should be $200. The problem is is that my parents can barely afford to pay $250 right now so my gramma pays half. And the next cheapest place to board at is $300. Everything else is between 500-1200.

well you live near NYC, correct? Any place near the city will be expensive. The cost of living is so much higher there so, so will be the cost of keeping a horse. IMHO if every place else is asking $300 than $300 is the only price you have to pay unless you move your horse really far away.

I live near Saratoga, NY....I'm probably 30 minutes away from the race track and harness track to anything horse related is fairly expensive due to Saratoga...the cheapest place I found to board charges about $125 a month...but that place is an hour away from me up at Fort. Ti (not sure if you are familiar with there..I can't spell the whole name of the fort)...but I think that is far away from you.

Gingerrrrr 05-04-2008 07:52 PM

well i dont know what im going to do. my mom said if we cant afford it were going to have to sell Ginger, but if my gramma will help pay it then i dont think ill have to sell Ginger.

SonnyWimps 05-04-2008 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gingerrrrr
well i dont know what im going to do. my mom said if we cant afford it were going to have to sell Ginger, but if my gramma will help pay it then i dont think ill have to sell Ginger.

talk to your grandma then and see if she'll help...like I said...prices for things go up and down also. Owning a horse is expensive...when I was figuring out costs I figured out exactly how much board I could afford monthly while still having enough for vet, farrier, and other things I'd want.

It might be worth the time just to ask the barn owner if you can work off some of the board...she might just surprise you and say yes