The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Eventing (http://www.horseforum.com/eventing/)
-   -   Evaluate this horse for Eventing (http://www.horseforum.com/eventing/evaluate-horse-eventing-86117/)

Spastic_Dove 05-09-2011 02:08 PM

Evaluate this horse for Eventing

hanoverian warmblood gelding

Interested in looking at this horse if they can break the price into 3 payments. Before I go to the next step though, I'm wondering if some of you more knowledgable people can help.

I'm looking for something I can use for the next few years. I'm at the most basic of basics right now just trying to do BN but I want a horse that has the ability to do a bit more. The add calls him a 'mid level dressage horse'.

Liberty:
Under Saddle:
Thoughts? Is he worth the price?

His movement at liberty looks good to me, but I'm not sure if I like him under saddle but that could be rider fault...

zurmdahl 05-09-2011 04:06 PM

I don't really have much to say about him as you know more than I do, but the only advice I can give is to get a horse with experience. I don't know if that's possible if your price range as I have no idea what prices are like in your area, but if you can you should. Where you're new to the sport having a horse that has evented for a few seasons will make things much easier. I made the mistake of getting a horse with no experience and she ended up hating it and it made for a pretty miserable time to be honest.

Strawberryfields 05-09-2011 04:31 PM

He looks OK. What level do you want to do? He would probably be fine for up to training. Not sure he would be my pick for anything higher, though. Something about the way he moves is off. But the important thing is that he has a good mind, SOUND, and brave. Also important that you two "click".

FoxyRoxy1507 05-09-2011 04:44 PM

if you're just starting eventing you def need to get something with experience, it makes things much easier bc it is a difficult sport and putting a green horse with a green rider is just asking for problems unless you have a really good coach/trainer that can help you along the way

Spastic_Dove 05-09-2011 04:47 PM

If he could do up to training, I would be happy.
He's about the top of my price range though, and will involve some financial fanaggaling. But I'd rather spend a bit more money on something that I can keep for a few years rather than something cheap that is going to have a hard time doing Novice.

Not sure if he has much experience eventing though. It was one of the questions I asked in my email to them.

Spastic_Dove 05-09-2011 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FoxyRoxy1507 (Post 1028299)
if you're just starting eventing you def need to get something with experience, it makes things much easier bc it is a difficult sport and putting a green horse with a green rider is just asking for problems unless you have a really good coach/trainer that can help you along the way

I have been schooling it at home for the past year or so.
Not new to horses at all, but only have about a year of this under my belt. I had a phenomenal coach, but recently moved and will not be going out until I have myself a new coach I can ride with more consistently now that I have moved.

MudPaint 05-09-2011 08:21 PM

I have to agree that I don't see him going beyond training. He has potential for the dressage aspect, but he'll be hard to get together as he's a bit long and naturally high set. I'm also not keen on the way this lady is working him... almost seems like she too focused on the front end.

Does he have any O/F experience. If he has a decent foundation on him even if just in the ring, that makes it so much easier. A nice, bold and quiet jumper would be what I'm looking for to make this horse a yes.

I can attest to the difficulties of bringing along an eventer when you really haven't done it. I rode hunter/jumpers for a long time... and decided this was more fun. Good luck getting started!

MicKey73 05-09-2011 08:40 PM

I think he looks pretty cute! But I would be concerned there was no mention anywhere about him going over, or having been started over fences, especially since that's what you're looking for. There has to be a reason why. I'd also be concerned with the rediculously short clip of him being ridden outside of an arena in that second video, and the rest of the video he's brought into an arena to work....

myhorsesonador 05-09-2011 08:44 PM

I thought you were moveing to new zeland?

Spastic_Dove 05-09-2011 08:45 PM

I did.
Then we had an earthquake and I had to get evacuated out and am back in Montana :(