The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Draft Horses (http://www.horseforum.com/draft-horses/)
-   -   Do draft horses have bad attitudes? (http://www.horseforum.com/draft-horses/do-draft-horses-have-bad-attitudes-86159/)

misskingraven 05-09-2011 11:39 PM

Do draft horses have bad attitudes?

I have not had a lot of experiance with drafts, only a couple... but I have heard a lot of people say that they have a bossy, just generally bad attitude! Is it part of their breeding, or is it just maybe because lots of owners let the big guys get away with stuff because they are bigger? I have taken care of a Belgian cross for a long time, but I cannot even lead him around without him stepping on me (purposely) and walking faster than I can to get away from me. And it is not just me, he does it to everyone! But then I know another one and he has an absolute puppy dog personality! I dont know what to belive!

vikki92 05-09-2011 11:59 PM

They are very sweet, but of course everyhorse has its own personality, and training always helps.
I have a Qh/Belgian and he is like a big puppy dog, so very sweet. :)

Scoope 05-10-2011 12:38 AM

we have two shires that are big puppy dogs also, so much so that my almost 3 year old can lead them (they tend to just follow him as he is known as the bringer of cookies). They're ever so gentle , and huff along behind them with their noses on his shoulders begging for treats (a bad habit I know , but they're not nippy at all, my boy likes to sit on the tree stump and hold the bucket while they eat - he likes the huff huff noises they make haha)

Manners (at least to me) are a biggy as they are so much bigger than I , and as I am quite unwell I am unable to go tugging on the end of a lead rope , and it would be very bad for me if they were to push me around. As such we do alot of work on their manners , and if they do start getting wily I will not hesitate to pop them on the shoulder.

But for the most part they are gentlemen - their one bad trait is tending to 'lean' on the farrier, or when you pick their feet, or to lick your backside as they know I usually have a carrot in my back pocket , they are notorious pick pockets our two!.

a shire leaning on you while your doing their feet is not pleasent!

TBH I have more problems with fatty shetland pony than I do them!

vikki92 05-10-2011 12:42 AM

lol my qh/beligum leans on you when you pick his feet up too but i wouldnt trade it for anything I love my Thunder<3 ( horses name)

Scoope 05-10-2011 12:45 AM

both of them will steal brushes off you while your grooming though , so we give them one of those ball on a rope dog toys to hold in their mouth and play with - that keeps them happy.

They've also got a huge swiss exercise ball in their paddock that they love.

vikki92 05-10-2011 12:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scoope (Post 1028854)
both of them will steal brushes off you while your grooming though , so we give them one of those ball on a rope dog toys to hold in their mouth and play with - that keeps them happy.

They've also got a huge swiss exercise ball in their paddock that they love.

awwwh that is so cute. I need to look into one of them to keep my boy happy. He plays in the water trough and the hay lol.
my other horses are not very playful, so they just look at him likes hes crazy lol!

Scoope 05-10-2011 12:53 AM

yeah its a football on a rope haha , money well spent though, daft horses - you wouldn't know that they're fairly geriatric. It floats really well in the water trough too - which is another awesom game , they've broken it twice trying to get in it , so its got bars over the top now to stop them leaning on it (they figured out the water will come out the side if they lean until it cracks/bends)

drafts4ever 05-10-2011 01:04 AM

I love my girls! I have a clydesdale mare and a Gypsy Drum mare. Both are loveable big girls. My clydesdale has her own attitude and tests people she doesn't know by refusing to move forward when a new rider is on her. She throws little bucks and kicks but besides that she's a doll. Everyone loves her. She's awesome with little kids. She'll go as slow as she can and she watches her feet. Same with Legacy. Legacy responds better to a learned rider and listens no matter who is on her but when there is a kid around or she can sense the rider doesn't know anything, she drops her head and walks slow and long.

misskingraven 05-10-2011 01:12 AM

Thats sweet, I really love draft horses! I know one who's name is Traveller, he is a sweet heart, he will fall asleep in your arms, but then there is Red, a pushy big brat with no manners :P

BigGreyHorse 05-10-2011 09:35 AM

Drafts are just like anything else--including people. Manners have to be taught. It's a dangerous situation when they aren't taught basic manners and they are twice the size of the average pushy horse. They can do a lot more damage.