The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Eventing (http://www.horseforum.com/eventing/)
-   -   eventing bit....slighty stronger (http://www.horseforum.com/eventing/eventing-bit-slighty-stronger-86167/)

corporate pride 05-10-2011 02:03 AM

eventing bit....slighty stronger

hi everyone,

i bought a new horse and have taken himo out to a ode a few weeks ago. turns out he's pretty strong in xc and showjumping. he's gotta a pretty good mouth he just sticks his head up and speeds up to jumps.
I took hi out in a french link snaffle. i have been advised by one of his previous owners that he hates running rings and martingales.
i was thinking of using a half cheek snaffle other known as a hanging cheek snaffle.
http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...jgGfuq-LCvhau_
but maybe in a JP korsteel french link version.

has anyone had any experience with them??
would itmake any difference at all??

if not what can someone suggest to try??

CJ82Sky 05-10-2011 09:26 AM

you know, i've found that in XC when it comes to bits, all bets are off and it's a matter of trial and error. my extremely sensitive soft mouthed clyde cross that flats and showjumps and even hunter paces!!! in a three piece bean snaffle goes XC in a traditional single jointed gag!

i tried a hollow mouth loose ring elevator and he still forgot i was on him. i have a video of him galloping uphill and me sitting so deep and far back behind the motion tugging on his mouth every stride and he's galloping away ears up with no indication he even remembered i was there. something about xc just gets him going like whoa!!! lol

play around with different bits and as long as you have a soft hand, eventually you will find something that works. i think where you are at is a good place to start and then move up from there. for my guy our options on bits were also limited because he's a 7" mouth lol.

equineeventer3390 05-10-2011 05:17 PM

When I needed something slightly stronger on one of my horses, a slow twist full cheek bit worked the best.

I used the bit you posted on another horse that got strong in dressage. It really worked well with her. I had a lot more control while it was still legal for dressage.

Like above, its really a trial and error thing. I had one horse that wasn't THAT strong XC but needed a little more. His favorite bit ended up being the myler bit, with all the rollers in it and a curved mouth piece. It really depends on the horse but my first start in finding a bit would be the one you posted or a slow twist.

corporate pride 05-10-2011 09:11 PM

thanks for the replies :)

i talked to my dressage instructor (who use to event) he suggested a dutch gag with a rounder on the top and middle ring. the issue isn't just speed, it's the head in the air and he said that will bring it down. i got one that i can borrow to test out :) and i kind of know someone that's selling one.
i might try that out and see how he goes. then i will look at maybe a pee wee down the line. i had good success with a pee wee on my ex eventer after the pony clubs band the bit i was using. i borrowed one and i had better control. and it's legal!!!
i would use a myler but they are illegal except for the level 1's.

equineeventer3390 05-10-2011 11:37 PM

I was actually going to recommend an elevator bit but I looked up a Dutch Gag and that's basically what I was thinking. I think that would be a good place to start!! My sister uses that on her horse, works well for him.

corporate pride 05-11-2011 02:50 AM

thanks for that!

i've been reading up and basically 99% of people say to use 2 reins??? how the hell do you co-ordinate that on xc??

does your sister use rounders or 2 reins or just straight on the gag ring??

wild_spot 05-11-2011 04:45 AM

Horses generally raise their heads in the few strides before jumps ^so they can see them better. Normal head position actually causes a blind spot near the ground in front of the head, ^so raising the head allows them to see the base of the jump. ^so just be careful he isn't just looking at the jumps instead of being naughty!

Also, the baucher/hanging cheek doesn't use any leverage, contrary to popular belief, because the reins don't fix lower than the mouthpiece. It just keeps the bit stiller in the mouth.
Posted via Mobile Device

corporate pride 05-12-2011 04:39 AM

oh ok....he doesn't just lift his head to get a better look, he u necks and i have trouble seeing past his head LOL if he raised it slightly it would be ok, but head goes up, he goes faster...

MudPaint 05-16-2011 09:47 AM

Any type of leverage action bit will help break him at the poll a bit. Primo goes in an eggbutt for dressage and SJ (if I have time for the bit swap) and a broken Kimberwick for XC. He does the same thing when he canters, especially down hill. The leverage allows me to keep him on the bit and lift his shoulders.

As for the two reins, you just need to get used to it. I've ridden in Pelhams for years as a Hunter and have used it on XC and fox hunting. It is annoying on drop fences because you have more to gather up.

corporate pride 05-18-2011 03:26 AM

pony club in western australia band the broken kimblewick :( but he doesn't do well in a broken bit i found out. low palate.