The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeds (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/)
-   -   Why Are Saddlebreds Good For Reining? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/why-saddlebreds-good-reining-862/)

SaddlebredLuver 02-25-2007 09:07 PM

Why Are Saddlebreds Good For Reining?

Why do you think ASB's are good for reining?

kristy 02-25-2007 09:13 PM

I haven't heard of many asb reining in the first place.

Raini 02-25-2007 11:05 PM

umm I wouldn't think they had a lot of natural talent due to their body build and such...I'm sure some could succeed but it's not really a breed characteristic.

kristy 02-26-2007 02:44 AM

Are you saying they all have poor body build?

SaddlebredLuver 02-26-2007 10:52 AM

Well, I know they do reining because there is a national champion out there somewhere that's an ASB and I know that a lot of ASB's do it now.

bubba13 02-26-2007 09:34 PM

Probably Saddlebred reining made specifically for them. There's also Arabian reining, Paint reining, Appy reining--all specifically for the breed. Paints and Quarters dominate the sport, though, as it was designed for them and they're built for it.

Skippy! 02-27-2007 07:36 AM

Interesting...

Thats like telling me a TWH Show Horse (pads and all) dominate the reining shows. LOL i just dont get it!

I googled it and didn't even find a picture of an ASB reining, and the only stuff i found on the website was the like.. really showy ASB (that look somewhat like TWH show horses) Maybe i just didnt look hard enough or something (since im trying to get ready for work right now, LOL!)

I'd love to see some pictures

kristy 02-27-2007 04:47 PM

There are non-gaited asb making a name in dressage and they are also natural jumpers, but I've never heard of the reining concept. Although, some people do call reining western dressage. :wink:

Raini 02-27-2007 08:11 PM

no of course I'm not saying they have a poor body build. Reining horses are usually stocky and close to the ground with powerful hindquarters....saddlebreds have the long lanky look. Not all of them but most. Sure some probably can do it but most won't excel like a quarter horse. That's not putting down saddlebreds. I absolutely LOVE saddlebreds. Great gaits, good dressage horses, good jumpers, beautiful.

ImaFlashyBit 02-28-2007 02:59 PM

I am def. not putting down Saddlebreds either and I would love to read about a Reining Champion thats a Saddlebred. Its just I have never seen or read about one so its hard for me to see them as that. Quarterhorses IMO have the perfect build and physical traits for reining and seem to take over the sport. Just seems to be their thing, but thats not to say no other breed can compete and win. Really though I would love to read about a Saddlebred reining.