The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Show Clothing (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-show-clothing/)
-   -   Helmets: higher price, extra protection? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-show-clothing/helmets-higher-price-extra-protection-86213/)

laurarachelle 05-10-2011 03:12 PM

Helmets: higher price, extra protection?

Hey everyone!
I'm looking to buy a new helmet since the one I have now has been with me for quite a few years and is now too small. I was just wondering what you think about helmet prices.
Should I stick with the standard velveteen (like $75) or go for a more expensive one (like a Charles Owen, about $175)?? Are they really that much better??
Any imput would be great!!!

Speed Racer 05-10-2011 03:47 PM

It's their safety rating, not their price, that determines how good they are.

If you go with a Charles Owen you're paying for the name, not more in the way of head protection.

Look for the safety rating first and foremost, not how 'stylish' or popular a helmet is at the moment.

equiniphile 05-10-2011 03:56 PM

I've used Troxels, and they're great cheap helmets that get the job done. I invested in a good IRH helmet this year, though, and would have a very hard time going back to a Troxel after that! The safety standards are not that much different, as long as they're certified, it's the style and comfort that jacks the price up. I've also heard great things about Tipperarys, they're very inexpensive, too.

iridehorses 05-10-2011 04:06 PM

I did a lot of research on helmets before buying one this winter. I ended up with the Tipperary since it had the best of price, style, and ratings to suit my needs. Keep in mind that I am using it for trail riding not showing.

upnover 05-11-2011 08:25 PM

Yep, agreed with what people have said. Safety is safety and if it's approved there's a good chance that it'll be pretty safe no matter how much it costs. However, I've noticed that a lot of the cheaper plasticky helmets (like the cheaper troxels or plastic IRHs) do chip and fall apart a little easier then something a little pricier. The Charles Owens is a good quality helmet that is safe but it's also the "in" helmet at shows right now. You're paying not only safety but also for style and trend at the moment. If that's not important to you paying the extra isn't really worth it. I use a Tipperary to school in and I love it. Excellent quality, comfortable, and excellent safety reviews. I do call it my "alien helmet" but when it comes to schooling I picked comfort over style. :)

laurarachelle 05-11-2011 10:45 PM

Thanks for all the replies guys.
I personally don't like the look of the plastic helmets, so I think I'll end up going for something slightly cheaper than the CO but still nice looking. Does anyone have any specific suggestions, or ones to stay away from?
:)

MIEventer 05-11-2011 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by upnover (Post 1031057)
Yep, agreed with what people have said. Safety is safety and if it's approved there's a good chance that it'll be pretty safe no matter how much it costs. However, I've noticed that a lot of the cheaper plasticky helmets (like the cheaper troxels or plastic IRHs) do chip and fall apart a little easier then something a little pricier. The Charles Owens is a good quality helmet that is safe but it's also the "in" helmet at shows right now. You're paying not only safety but also for style and trend at the moment. If that's not important to you paying the extra isn't really worth it. I use a Tipperary to school in and I love it. Excellent quality, comfortable, and excellent safety reviews. I do call it my "alien helmet" but when it comes to schooling I picked comfort over style. :)

Agreed :)

It's the name you're buying, not the safety levels. Just as stated, ASTM approved is ASTM approved.

JustDressageIt 05-11-2011 11:40 PM

The higher-end helmets can be made out of Carbon Fiber, which has been shown to absorb more impact than the styrofoam base that is the base of most other helmets.

Jessskater 05-12-2011 02:01 AM

I have a $189 International Riding Helmet. I took a pretty nasty fall a few months ago and it saved my life.

upnover 05-13-2011 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustDressageIt (Post 1031349)
The higher-end helmets can be made out of Carbon Fiber, which has been shown to absorb more impact than the styrofoam base that is the base of most other helmets.

That's true. I have heard that carbon fiber is a good material. They usually come with a higher price tag though! Although, I think Ovation's new schooling helmet is carbon fiber and not too expensive.