The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Lump on leg?!! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/lump-leg-86229/)

Sarahandlola 05-10-2011 05:58 PM

Lump on leg?!!

Ok so the last time I seen Lola was friday. Her legs were perfectly normal! Today, Tuesday, there is a lump on her cannon bone. It is rock hard. It feels like a bone. No heat, no pain. I was looking it up and came to the conclusion of a splint. It said they are not dangerous once they are formed and should not cause any problems. Then I go onto a different site and it says only young horses get them and you should stop work with them straight away =/

She is not lame. And like I said no heat and no signs of pain when I was squeezing it etc. On one of the sites I read it said while the splint is forming it can cause pain and a bit of lameness. I thought she looked a tiny bit lame a few times a few days ago but I just thought I was imagining it because I never wanna see her lame again!! Now that I think of it she could have been slightly lame. Now she is fine. And then the site went on to say once the splint is formed it is harmless..

So which site is right?! Obviously it could be something else but a splint seems the closest right now.

trailhorserider 05-10-2011 06:23 PM

I have a 17yr old with splints on both front legs, and one on a back leg as well (that one was from an injury- they normally don't get them on the hinds). Once they are fused they are not an issue, just a blemish. I would say if she is not lame, she is good to go.

Are you sure it wasn't there before? I was under the impression that they usually happen when the horses is younger, then fuse, and then they have them forever. But hey, I don't know. :lol:

How old is Lola?

Sarahandlola 05-10-2011 06:27 PM

I have definitely not noticed it over the past week...It has been raining all week so I have just been grooming her. That is how I noticed it today. And she is ten according to the person I bought her from..maybe I will get someone to see if they can get her real age if it is not 10.

Anyways yeah it is on her front leg right below the knee on the inside of the cannon bone.

smrobs 05-10-2011 06:27 PM

In my experience, splints are most common in younger horses, but not limited to them. It's really no big deal. If the horse is lame, give them a few days off but if they aren't then you can continue to work them. My horse Denny started popping splints when he was somewhere around 6 and popped them several times over the next few years. Now, at 17, his front legs are hideous but he has never taken a lame step in his life.

From my understanding, they can be surgically removed but that is a procedure most often done on show horses where appearance is everything.

eventnwithwinston 05-10-2011 06:34 PM

However splint don't appear on the front of the cannon bones. They appear on the inside or outside of the legs, most commonly the front legs.

I have a feeling it could be bucked shins? Anyone else?

smrobs 05-10-2011 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sarahandlola (Post 1029855)
Anyways yeah it is on her front leg right below the knee on the inside of the cannon bone.

It is on the inside of the leg, winston.

eventnwithwinston 05-10-2011 09:36 PM

Whoops sorry... I mustve really skipped a part.
SORRY :( My mistake.

LoveCuriousGeorge 05-10-2011 09:42 PM

My horse is only 5 and i was worried about a bump to. It didn't seem to bother him. The vet checked it out when she came out to get his coggings done. It's just a splint on him. Its common in young horses. If its not hot and doesn't seem to bother the horse then have no worries. That's what my vet said. She said if it gets any bigger and starts to bother to call her. But he is completely finee:)

smrobs 05-10-2011 09:46 PM

No worries, winston, happens to everyone :D.

brettso1000 05-11-2011 08:36 AM

A mare of mine got a splint last summer on the hard ground, has never bothered her. I wouldn't worry about it too much. good luck anyway