The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Colors and Genetics (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/)
-   -   Question about spot (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/question-about-spot-86265/)

Poseidon 05-11-2011 12:18 AM

Question about spot

2 Attachment(s)
So I was grooming Abby today before I rode and I haven't seen her in at least 5 days. What little bit of winter fluff she had left is gone and her coat is all sleek again. When I got to her right side, her spot looked huge and actually noticeable. I found it last year before she got her winter coat, but you had to look closer to see it. But today it was like "Bam! I'm a spot!" It's probably the size of a 50 cent piece.

I'm trying to figure out if you guys think it's some kind of scar or what? Her dam is an overo, for what it's worth. She's had it since she was a foal because it's in the picture on her papers.

Sorry for picture quality. Cell phone. Completely forgot I had my DSLR sitting in my car..

Chiilaa 05-11-2011 12:34 AM

Minimal sab maybe? Could be minimal frame too, her blaze has that hint of 'top wide' that could be frame...

Poseidon 05-11-2011 12:40 AM

That's what I was wondering about. Her dam was definitely frame. I suppose I could just pay the $25 and find out if Abby has frame.

Chiilaa 05-11-2011 12:49 AM

It would be interesting. I know Sab tends to like leg white, while frame doesn't. She has one minimal white right? I also think she has splash with that apron-ish bottom to her blaze. So all white bar tobi lol.

Poseidon 05-11-2011 12:59 AM

She has one white pastern, her large blaze, then that little spot. Well, ****. If she tests nO and has splash like you think, I guess that's another token in the "Don't listen to registries and their colour opinions" box. She's registered as Breeding Stock. Haha.

NdAppy 05-11-2011 09:08 AM

It could very well be Frame. Frame does put on face white, and since there is only a small amount of leg white. *shrugs* could be worth the test if you really wanted to know for sure.

Poseidon 05-11-2011 12:17 PM

Haha. I'm curious, so I might sometime in the future. :-P

I was just wondering if you guys thought it might be some kind of scar rather than frame.

MN Tigerstripes 05-11-2011 12:27 PM

Soda has a little white spot like that, but it's on his girth. No idea what it is though and it's hard to see because he's so light/creamy there.

Let us know if you get her tested!

shelleyb 05-17-2011 03:38 AM

I know a horse that has a white mark like that... it is a scar from a girth gall...

Chiilaa 05-17-2011 03:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shelleyb (Post 1037233)
I know a horse that has a white mark like that... it is a scar from a girth gall...

Since the OP said that it was on her horse's foal papers, it is probably not a girth gall.