The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   Pricing doesn't make sense for boots & breeches (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/pricing-doesnt-make-sense-boots-breeches-8630/)

horsestar8100 05-05-2008 06:57 PM

Pricing doesn't make sense for boots & breeches

Okay I'm looking for boots, the most expensive I've seen so far is about $600 for boots, and $120 or so for breeches. I recently found a pair of dressage boots that were $800, and breeches that were almost $300. What the heck? Okay I can understand paying an arm and a leg for tack, but why would you pay almost$1000 for regular riding boots, and almost $300 for breeches? Alright I'm guilty of splurging on breeches (remember, chaping problem with jeans), and where I live, it can easily drop to twenty degrees by the time my lesson rolled around, so I bought a pair of kerrits winter breeches (nice, soft, and kept my butt warm, and legs thawed.) But even I wouldn't pay $800, not for even show boots, even if they were the second pair! Maybe it's my modest growing up that it's such of a shock. It seems like they get more pricey if their made out of different leather perhaps? But it seems like a ridiculous amount of money for a simple pair of boots or breeches.

JustDressageIt 05-05-2008 09:14 PM

People come from different backgrounds. I, too, grew up knowing the value of a dollar, so I didn't get really expensive things - sure I got nice things, but I found that expensive does not equal nice, rather you can find great stuff while still maintaining a budget.
Some people like to own expensive things, like those $500 breeches (I owned one pair once.. I have to admit they were my faves... they were my birthday present one year when my parents wanted to splurge).
Really though, it's a GREAT feeling beating those prissy Daddy's Money girls in a show ;)
By the way, I'm not saying everyone who enjoys the "finer things in life" is prissy... gah. I think I'm talking myself into a corner... ;)

PoptartShop 05-05-2008 09:40 PM

Woah...
my boots are really nice & were only about $200, but I got them on sale for $170.
& my breeches were only like $50! :D
That's ridiculous though- $800? The most expensive I've seen were like $300-400! Rip-offs lol. You can get the same type for cheaper, anyway. My breeches & boots aren't THAT expensive & they are still show-savvy!

upnover 05-05-2008 11:33 PM

Isn't it crazy what people are willing to pay?! There was a phase when a bunch of girls at our barn were wearing Vogels (custom boots) which start around $900. Sure you get a great fit with beautiful leather that will last a long long time... but my legs/feet must be super "normal" because my Ariats sure fit me well! (which I might add were originally $400, but I found brand new on ebay for $99!)

And I just had a life changing breeches moment. Growing up I always always wanted tailored sportsmans because they're sooooo pretty and everyone else had them and i could never afford them. I justified buying some a while ago until I tried some on and found out they looked horrible on me! So I "settled" on some Ariats that i thought I loved. Until I found these fantastic Tuff-Riders that i found on clearance for $50 that I was going just wear to school in. Turns out they look even better then my ariats! I just spent the past 2 weeks at an A show, in my tuff riders!

THAT'S RIGHT, I SHOW ON THE A-CIRCUIT IN TUFF RIDERS!

PoptartShop 05-06-2008 04:24 PM

I know, the prices are crazy. :shock:

horsestar8100 05-07-2008 03:09 AM

More scary prices, and these seem really unreasonable. I found this site that makes custom made dress, feild, polo, or dressage boots, ranging, prepare for major sticker shock $1,100-1,700 USD :shock: Wholly cow, can we say milking people a little bit to much, yes? I thought I was seeing things, nope, that are the prices :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: I guess if you were really desprite in wanting boots that fit well, but I wouldn't be willing to fork over that much. My guess would be the color choices or something. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

PoptartShop 05-07-2008 11:29 AM

I know, right?! :roll: Stupid rip-offs, lemme tell you!

halsgal 06-01-2008 12:08 PM

Some of it's not worth it, but I personally would pay $600 for a pair of custom boots if I had the money. I mean, my ariats (not custom at all) were $450, so for $150 more (at least for the brand I looked at) you can get a custom boot with amazing leather? i think it's worth it in some situations. And I might pay $250 for a pair of Tailored Sportsmans Professional breeches, but idk. If i had the money, yeah, it'd be amazing. Some of it IS so much better that it's worth it. but the stuff your'e talking about sounds like it was a rip off . . . I personally got my Tailoreds worn once from a friend for $90 a pair . . . gotta love friends that outgrow clothes. :D

mudypony 06-01-2008 03:33 PM

I know prices these days are rediculous! I got a fantastic pair of Ariat field boots brand new for only about $200 a few months ago and I love them already. I'm hoping they will last me for years and become even more comfy but I think they are fantastic boots for the price. Also, I agree it would be awesome to have money to get a pair of custom boots or the tailored sportsman breeches but it's just not going to happen for me unless I find a fantastic deal or something.

Personally I'm good with my hand me down breeches from other riders to school in and then a pair of Ariat breeches for showing and I'm all set.

C-Bear 07-01-2008 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mudypony
I know prices these days are rediculous! I got a fantastic pair of Ariat field boots brand new for only about $200 a few months ago and I love them already. I'm hoping they will last me for years and become even more comfy but I think they are fantastic boots for the price. Also, I agree it would be awesome to have money to get a pair of custom boots or the tailored sportsman breeches but it's just not going to happen for me unless I find a fantastic deal or something.

Personally I'm good with my hand me down breeches from other riders to school in and then a pair of Ariat breeches for showing and I'm all set.

i haven't showed alot but i have some comfy breeches and i usually ware my (7 year old) timberland hiking boots with some half chaps that make them look like the dressage boots lol. but i suggest that if you don't want to go that route look one line. get your size first and the on online. sometimes they have really good deals.