The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Eventing (http://www.horseforum.com/eventing/)
-   -   Eventing a pony? (http://www.horseforum.com/eventing/eventing-pony-86317/)

petitepyromaniac 05-11-2011 05:32 PM

Eventing a pony?

Would it be weird if I did eventing on a pony?

I'm interested in buying a 13.1 hand Welsh filly. The thing is- I'm not a kid. I'm also 5'5" tall and 111 lbs.

Personally, I think it would be really fun! I'm not out to win or heavily compete with the pony. I just want to have fun with her at the lower levels.

First off, do you think I'm too big for her, based on the stats I've given?

Secondly (my main question), If you saw a young adult competing on a pony, what would be your reaction?

winstonsgrl 05-11-2011 06:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
About a year ago I was eventing a pony, but he now has arthritis, and I wanted to work more with my horse . I don't think it would be weird showing a pony. I really liked showing my trainers pony because he is short so he puts more effort into jumping, which makes him pretty much hop over fences lol. Soon I will start riding another pony and maybe show her. So, yes ponys are great!
Attachment 63570

VelvetsAB 05-11-2011 06:48 PM

Hoofprints in the Sand events a pony, and she is a young lady in her twenties.

If you fit on a pony, I don't see how it would be a bad thing...?

VanillaBean 05-11-2011 07:56 PM

I event a half pony! Shes Arab / Welsh. She is an AWESOME eventer!

Have fun!

VB

petitepyromaniac 05-11-2011 07:56 PM

Thank you for your responses so far!

I guess I've grown up around people with "ponies are for kids" mentalities. I've always ridden horses, and people look at me like I'm crazy when I say I might buy a pony. But riding is a hobby to me, so why not getting something that's fun in a small package? :D

Magaidh 05-11-2011 08:01 PM

Two words: Theodore O'Connor!
:D

roljess 05-11-2011 09:19 PM

I evented a QHx pony and he was awesome! good ponies are totally worth it!

maura 05-11-2011 09:24 PM

Magaidh,

Loved your response!

To the OP, in the eventing world, I don't think anyone will think anything of it, and you'll probably have a blast! I don't like to see small adults overmounted on large horses, when you're going xc, even if you're secure and correct, it's easy to get jumped out of the tack if your horse is too big for you to really get your leg on.

I say go for it!

RedTree 05-11-2011 09:52 PM

I love seeing the ponys do their XC round, they look like so much fun :D

Theres even some ponies over here competing at C level which is about 90cm jumps. I love them it honestly look they have springs in their legs.

Strange 05-12-2011 12:20 PM

When I see an adult on a pony I think, "Wow they're freaking awesome. I love ponies!"