The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   western pleasure manes (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/western-pleasure-manes-86500/)

teamkrissynmissy 05-13-2011 01:48 PM

western pleasure manes

im 13 and im showing th/qh in wp im not willing to cut her mane for simply showing in 4-h what should i do with her mane??? band it long? plate it? or simply leave it down?? help please!!:D:D:D:D:D

farmpony84 05-13-2011 01:52 PM

band it long, people will assume your horse is a reiner.

BrewCrew 05-13-2011 02:40 PM

Try a diamond braid. Looks very nice, IMO! :)

teamkrissynmissy 05-13-2011 05:30 PM

thanks guys:) iv only been riding for two years now so i try to keep up

morabhobbyhorse 05-14-2011 09:03 AM

People braid WP horse's manes now too? Wow, I have so much to catch up on. This thread is giving me some great advice. But what is a diamond braid :-(

farmpony84 05-14-2011 10:39 AM

No. Nobody braids a western pleasure mane. (unless the horse is an all-arounder) They do band them though. I would not do the diamond plate unless you are doing both english and western in the same show.

farmpony84 05-14-2011 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by morabhobbyhorse (Post 1034089)
People braid WP horse's manes now too? Wow, I have so much to catch up on. This thread is giving me some great advice. But what is a diamond braid :-(

The diamond plate is not a braid, it's when you band the mane all the way down and then you take the existing bands and split them so you band the two splits together and you do it the length of the mane so it makes these diamond shapes. It's pretty.

morabhobbyhorse 05-14-2011 10:58 AM

Wow, had to read it twice but I understood what you meant. That would be pretty. Man I may think about starting Sienna NEXT year instead, LOL. I've got a lot of work to do that I never thought about. Getting her used to bathing, getting these old fumble fingers to learn to do more than just comb her mane, baby powder on her white sock, LOL oiling her hooves since she has a white one and that would look a little silly with black shoe polish, especially since I would probably get it all over her white sock. I was just planning on working on her reining and side passing, LOL.

lildonkey8 05-14-2011 11:04 AM

http://www.haflingerhorses.com/marleeshow4.jpg
diamond braid
vvvvv
Quote:

Originally Posted by morabhobbyhorse (Post 1034089)

morabhobbyhorse 05-14-2011 11:29 AM

Oh WOW that is gorgeous!!!!! Thank you lildonkey. I could visualize it in my head but seeing it, especially on that horse really made it pop. Sienna would look wonderful in that with her coloring (the red bay showing through the black mane) like the black and white makes that stand out. You have a beautiful horse. Thanks so much, Cheryl