The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pants to wear for riding?

16K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  WalnutPixie 
#1 ·
I have never really given much thought to what pants I wear for riding. I used to ride Western and usually wore jeans. When I started taking English lessons I just kept wearing jeans; nobody ever said anything about it.

Now, after saving up for a long time, I have bought my very own dressage saddle (which I am very happy to have!) It is a quality saddle and I want it to last forever so I need to take good care of it. The master saddler whom I am very fortunate to have helping me recommends that I ride in pants without seams on the inside of the leg. A seam would rub and wear out the leather. He says that I don't need to buy breeches because leggings with half chaps would work very well for summer riding.

Now I am wondering, what kinds of pants do I need to wear to avoid damaging my saddle? I guess that leggings could work for this summer, but what about fall/winter/spring? I would just buy a pair of breeches but honestly I think they would look too grand in combination with a dressage saddle on my homely little trail horse.

So, what do you think I should do? What kinds of pants do you wear for riding? I don't have any English riding friends to ask so any input is appreciated! Thanks in advance :)

See less See more
#2 ·
There are insulated legging/breeches for riding in the winter. Honestly I love my jeans but I am going to have to give up riding in them too. I have a suede seat on my saddle and I have noticed the seams have started rubbing on it. Basically anything that doesn't have thick seams at the crotch and inner thigh. A friend of mine rides in yoga pants:)

#3 ·
I ride in jeans and insulated jeans in the winter. I had a Circle Y saddle with a suede seat for close to 30 yrs. I rode the dickens out of it. I just it sold a few weeks ago because it doesn't fit either of the horses I have now. As far as I can tell, there were no wear marks from the seams in my jeans on the seat.

#4 ·
I ride primarily western and live in jeans, but that doesn't do it in the winter here! I used to wear long johns & carharrt insulated bibs and that's a lot of extra bulk, my hubby bought me some under armor cold gear leggings, I'm hooked now! I just ordered 2 more pairs while its off season, lots cheaper :)
Posted via Mobile Device

#5 ·
I ride in (rather cheap) breeches (sweat pants in winter as I'm getting cold too fast). I do think jeans may leave marks on saddle (and I like mine too much :D ).

Out of curiosity (as I did try a bunch when I was looking for dressage saddle last year), what saddle did you get?

#6 ·
So, what do you think I should do? What kinds of pants do you wear for riding? I don't have any English riding friends to ask so any input is appreciated! Thanks in advance :)
I wore jeans in winter ... then noticed some wear and tear on the pommel of my saddle, so then I decided to switch to breeches. I'm not a big fan of breeches (at this weight), so I compromised by buying a pair of jean breeches by Equine Couture. The fabric is a tad thicker than normal breeches (and warmer) and have all the usual jean pockets, but they don't rub my saddle.

SmartPak - Equine Couture Bobbi Breeches customer reviews - product reviews - read top consumer ratings

Now that it's getting warmer, I'm seriously thinking about getting some riding tights, since the denim breeches are warmer than what I need down in N. Fla.

#7 ·
Jacksmama: I know, I love riding in my jeans too. It's so easy and I'm definitely going to miss it. Yoga pants are an interesting idea though! I'll keep that in mind. . .

DaraT:
That must have been one heck of a saddle! Most of the Western riders I know ride in jeans and I wonder if the saddles are just tougher than English ones?

MHFoundation Quarters:
That is a great idea, I never thought of wearing my under armor for riding! I bet that under a pair of sweat pants I would be really warm. Thanks for suggesting to buy them now, I think I may just do that.

kitten_Val: I got a Corbette; Charles De Kunffy. I haven't ridden in it yet but I sat in it at the tack shop and it is very comfortable. It really holds my legs underneath me with the leg rolls and the flaps are long enough to accommodate my long thighs. It was new but a few years old and I suspect discontinued because it was on sale for very cheap. Sorry, I can't help but go into detail because I'm so exited about it :D

Thank you everyone for the suggestions! I feel much better now that I have some options.

#14 ·
kitten_Val: I got a Corbette; Charles De Kunffy. I haven't ridden in it yet but I sat in it at the tack shop and it is very comfortable. It really holds my legs underneath me with the leg rolls and the flaps are long enough to accommodate my long thighs. It was new but a few years old and I suspect discontinued because it was on sale for very cheap. Sorry, I can't help but go into detail because I'm so exited about it :D
I've heard it's a nice one (although I never had a chance to try one - local stores don't carry Corbettes). I hope you'll enjoy it! :)

#11 ·
you could buy breeches in a non-beige color. That'd make them seem less "fancy and traditional" I have breeches that are dirt colored which i use for everyday riding, they don't look like much but they always look clean =P My friend has plaid ones, they don't look like breeches at all!

#13 ·
I ride in black breeches with black half-chaps and black paddock boots. This get-up goes fine with t-shirts, sweatshirts, you name it. It isn't very fancy at all...especially not once everything is covered with short chestnut-colored hairs! :)

The breeches I have are Tuffriders and they have a low rise. Very comfortable, very easy to clean, and so far, they are wearing like iron.

#15 ·
Thanks everyone, I'm starting feel like I know everything about casual riding clothes now! I didn't realize that there were so many things I could try. I rode in leggings yesterday and they were pretty slippery so I've ordered a pair of black breeches. I didn't even know that they came in black but I agree with you guys, they do look much more casual. I might just try my mom's yoga pants too if she will let me ;)

kitten_Val: Thank you, I am definitely enjoying it. I hope you found/find what you are looking for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.