The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeds (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/)
-   -   OTTB's (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/ottbs-86550/)

Indigosblue 05-14-2011 01:08 AM

OTTB's

hello!
I'm sorta new here, so i don't know if there's been a lot of discussion on OTTB's? If not here's my story/questions!:D

I'm currently leasing a 5 or 6 (not sure) yr old OTTB, and i'm interested in buying her. I've been riding her for half a year and she's not your typical TB. She's laid-back and doesn't really like to canter, so i guess it's no wonder she failed as a racehorse!:lol:
So what i'm wondering is what comes with owning an OTTB? They're usually started early (too early for my liking) and i wonder what it does to their bones. I'm thinking of teaching her to jump, and I've heard that many OTTB's are used for jumping. I just want to know if this could shorten her riding career? She was trained as a racehorse for 4 yrs. (no idea why with her temperament)
Also, she's the typical super-skinny TB, so i'm wondering how to get weight on her? I've only owned very easy keepers that fed themselves, so this is also new! I've been feeding her extra pellets and she's on free hay, but she's really low in the pecking order. She probably looks fine, but i'm used to my chubby fjord cross (who sadly passed away) so most anything looks skinny to me!

Thanks for your help... i really want to get all the information on OTTB's before i decide to buy. I don't want to do anything wrong, so i figure its best to educate myself!:-)

If you have any suggestions, or would like to share your stories/pictures go ahead!

RedTree 05-14-2011 02:17 AM

Thats great :)
You seem to be on the right track with the free choice hay, why not post pics so we can see, then you people will be able to tell you about her weight.

My TB is also a hard keeper and not a typical hot headed one. He is direct oppisite of that.
If she was trained in racing she will be very unbalanced on one side more then the other as I'm pretty sure they only tend to work them in one direction.

As long as you do the jumping in small amounts and build her up to it she will be fine

Indigosblue 05-14-2011 03:34 AM

thanks for your reply,
I've been doing lots and lots of circles with her, and she's doing really good in both directions! She's pretty surefooted for a TB, but sometimes likes to balance on two legs when tied up!
how do you post pics? it said something about a URL, i'm not very tech savvy, so i'm confused, lol.

Indigosblue 05-14-2011 03:51 AM

i think the FAQ section explained uploading the pic, but it won't load. Oh well, today she actually didn't look that skinny, so i guess it's ok. I just want to be able to keep the weight on.... if you don't ride her say for one week, she starts getting skinnier again! She tends to get injured a lot, so i just want to make sure we don't always go up and down with the weight!

apachewhitesox 05-14-2011 06:50 AM

First welcome!

Also I have a tb he wasn't exactly off the track when I got him though he'd been off for about 5 or 6 years by then. He is also the opposite of the usual Tb most people seem to think of them as flighty, nervous, spooky horses but my boy is lazy, almost bombproof and though he can look very alert and nervy he is actually generally a very calm horse. He is also a jerk when it comes to doing as he is told but he's my jerk :D . He keeps pretty well though his ribs always show a bit, I'm told thats typical for tbs but I'm not sure. I have gotten him to the point that he still looks like a stick beside my quarterhorse lol but you can't see his ribs. Winter is now coming here and he is coming back into work so his ribs are starting to show a bit more again but he's in good condition. He has grass 24/7 and he gets hay everynight that keeps him in general good condition. He doesn't get grain because it would simply make him hypo and he doesn't get worked enough for it. I have also just started working at a racing stable so maybe I can find some answers :D

SocietyJoe 05-14-2011 10:30 AM

Hey[:

I own a 11yo OTT Thoroughbred who has been off the track for 3years; and chucked in a paddock. We saved him a year ago, and have never looked back.

So what i'm wondering is what comes with owning an OTTB?
Owning a OTTB is an amazing experience, although there is the frustration, sweat and many tears but in the end its all worth. You need to be able to have the confidence to be the leader, and not accept anything less then their best. You have to go through all the crictics saying its not worth it, and you have to have the will power to make it happen, It's not easy, but after one year I have seen a dramatic change in my boy. Dont' worry, it is VERY rewarding.

They're usually started early (too early for my liking) and I wonder what it does to their bones.
Sometimes there bones are ran to early which causes athritis, joint problems and bone chips as they age. There is a chance your horse could suffer from this, but with the right care, it should be ok.

I'm thinking of teaching her to jump, and I've heard that many OTTB's are used for jumping. I just want to know if this could shorten her riding career?
OTTB's are amazing jumpers, they have the heart to do jumping and suceed. Jumping won't shorten her career at all if you don't over work her like a machine and jump, jump, jump.

Also, she's the typical super-skinny TB, so i'm wondering how to get weight on her? I've only owned very easy keepers that fed themselves, so this is also new! I've been feeding her extra pellets and she's on free hay, but she's really low in the pecking order. She probably looks fine, but i'm used to my chubby fjord cross (who sadly passed away)

Awh. RIP.

You know those big hay rolls, leave one of them in her paddock so she can go and eat when ever she wants to. Maybe feed her some bulking feed, that supplys cool energy. I feed my boy Chaff, Bran, Carrots, Mollases, Pony Nuts or Cool Max, salt and coat shine stuff. And he is started to put the weight on, although they should be in regular work(:

Hope I helped alittle bit. :D

Beauseant 05-14-2011 11:21 AM

This is what happens to TBs who don't win:

http://i990.photobucket.com/albums/a...Picture270.jpg

They are oftentimes forgotten, starved and neglected. This is Beau, age 5. His body score in this picture is a middle 2. Obviously in poor condition. He was 3 months off the track in this pic.

8 months after we bought him:http://i990.photobucket.com/albums/a...icture3952.jpg

Beau is a wonderful horse. Calm and sane and level headed. Not a "typical" OTTB. He does, however, have TB moments...where he'll take off galloping through the pasture for no reason for 5 minutes staight. Healthwise, he is also not typical of his breed. He is a relatively easy keeper. He doesn't gain weight on air, like our draft, but it isn't hard to keep him at a respectable weight with a probiotic supplement and Cool Calories. His hooves are NOT typical TB either...they are exemplary. Our farrier is amazed....he says he never saw a TB with hooves like his.

I LOVE my OTTB like my own family. The race failures all seem to have in common that they are sane, lazy and calm.... fantastic horses.

Saddlebag 05-14-2011 01:18 PM

OTTBs sometimes do think they are back at the track and in the race. I've seen it even in a saddle class. Judge called for a canter and the horse took off as the others began to canter. Fortunately the judge knew what was happening and called the class into the middle while the horse ran it's race. Horse resumed his class like nothing happened. Go easy on hard feeds if he isn't going to be worked for a while and be sure he gets plenty of turnout otherwise they are prone to stocking up.

Beauseant 05-14-2011 01:23 PM

funny story, saddlebag....though probably not for those involved.

our guy is as calm and lazy as our draft, but he gets these moments where he'll just take off....flashbacks?

equiniphile 05-14-2011 01:28 PM

My OTTBs are both high-energy, but they listen very well. To put weight on, I fed soaked beet pulp 3x a day.