The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Artwork (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-artwork/)
-   -   My first ever horse in colour (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-artwork/my-first-ever-horse-colour-86583/)

SkyeAngel 05-14-2011 02:45 PM

My first ever horse in colour

1 Attachment(s)
So i've been drawing horses forever, but i only use graphite pencils. I've never really tried coloured pencil, so I decided to have a go. I kinda started it like a year ago, then lost it. I found it yesterday and decided to finish it. It's not great, but I thought i'd share as it's a first for me.

Feel free to critique but please don't kill me. I'll try and get better I promise!

Here it is:

Caitlinpalomino 05-14-2011 07:08 PM

That looks better than what I can do and I have been using coloured pencils for 4 months now!!! I think it looks great :D

lilruffian 05-14-2011 07:37 PM

Not too bad actually. I'd suggest adding a little more black for shadowing in the legs, but for the most part you did pretty good layering and changing colors ;)

Indigosblue 05-14-2011 07:46 PM

lol, i hate colored pencils, but you did an awesome job! You can also use watercolor pencils for better shading, I've found. I dip them in water, and viola! shading!

csimkunas6 05-14-2011 07:49 PM

Wow!! I think thats fantastic!!! Great job!!!

tinyliny 05-14-2011 08:30 PM

I love it! The slightly "choppy" feeling of the shading gives it real energy! Was it hard to do?

SkyeAngel 05-15-2011 08:00 AM

Thanks everyone!

Quote:

Originally Posted by lilruffian (Post 1034497)
I'd suggest adding a little more black for shadowing in the legs, but for the most part you did pretty good layering and changing colors ;)

Thanks, I totally see what you mean about the legs, I might try touching them up. I think I have some watercolour pencil around that I had to buy for my art GCSE, so i could try Indigosblue's suggestion.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tinyliny
The slightly "choppy" feeling of the shading gives it real energy! Was it hard to do?

ooh, i'm glad you say that, I wasn't sure if I should try and blend it more, but I kinda knew I would overwork and ruin it completely, so I kinda stepped back and left it there. I found it pretty difficult. I normally work with graphite pencil so I can rub it out or smudge it to blend, which I can't do with colour. I guess the choppy shading is because I shaded the same as I would with graphite but can't smudge it afterwards! haha

I'm pretty disappointed with the leatherwork though. I think I did a pretty poor job on it. i think I could have done her eye better too

Phantomstallion 05-15-2011 09:19 AM

Pretty Cool!

LucysMyGirl 05-16-2011 03:56 AM

that is amazing :D nice job

JackofDiamonds 05-16-2011 04:30 AM

So cool, It looks amazing! Can we see a graphite drawing maybe? :)
(i cant even shade!)