The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Jumping (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/)
-   -   Any Jumpers out there wanna share some advice? (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/any-jumpers-out-there-wanna-share-86588/)

JamieLeighx 05-14-2011 04:15 PM

Any Jumpers out there wanna share some advice?

Well Im wanting to start advancing in height because my trainer says that I have pretty much perfected my position and the only thing I need to remember is to keep my darn heels down!
My trainer is off at the minute because of bad arthritis so if anyone has any excercises or advice/tips to help me out I would be very grateful :)
Also does anyone have any excercises I could yous to supple up Dealer and get him goin?

JamieLeighx 05-14-2011 04:47 PM

anybody?

Iseul 05-14-2011 06:24 PM

What I did for my heels helped me a lot when I started riding more. I would stand on the stair case (any step works) and hold my heels off the edge and keep them there for 10-15-20-etc seconds until I could keep them down easily for a minute or two. It really stretched my calf muscles out and made it easier for me to keep my heels down, since thy use to be even with the ball of my foot in the stirrups. My heels naturally went down for the most part after I was ableto hold them down atleast a minute doing what I suggested above, now my heels are always down and I don't have to pay attention to them at all.
As for the jumping, I won't comment too much, because I only ride western and don't jump above 1 foot..and I'd probably say something wrong :p lol
Good luck though.(:
Posted via Mobile Device

BlondieHorseChic 05-14-2011 06:28 PM

Heres something to do to work on your heels.
Stand on a stair so that if you were to step forward you would be going up the stairs. Place one foot on the stair then put the "ball" ( when riding it's where the stirrup should be on your foot) of your other foot on the very edge of the stair. Hold onto a handrail then slowly put ur heel down. (just shift some weight off your flat foot and lean back gently.) Hold the weight till it burns, or stretch more to get it to burn or hold the position for 5 minutes. Then switch feet and stretch the other foot. Once both heels have been stretched down place both heels just beyond the edge of the stair hold a handrail ( this one may through you off balance) stretch your heels all the way down as far as you can get them without alot of pain. Then bring your heels back up and bring them above the stair almost like a ballet dancer going into Point. (all while keeping the ball of your foot on the edge of the stair.rep 5 to 10 times.
You may want to start out by doing part 1 for a shorter amount of time and part 2 with fewer reps. It may cause fatigue the first few times you do it, but it really helped me.

To supple my horse I just squeze and relese the reigns a few short quick times. While still keeping my leg on him.
To get him to go faster I'll canter him then I'll get into more of a hintseat/2point position and add a little leg.

I'm not sure if that's what you were wanting to know, but hope it helps.

BlondieHorseChic 05-14-2011 06:31 PM

Guess as I was typing my respose isuel say posting theirs. Sorry for the repeat

JamieLeighx 05-14-2011 06:48 PM

Thank you for the heel excercise thing :)
Would it be better if I built up height in singles or as a double , like a x-pole then a verticle gradually putting up the verticle? also how many strides should i leave between them?

BlondieHorseChic 05-14-2011 07:09 PM

I'd do it individually. Maybe have a small course not small size wise/ jump distance, but only a few jumps that very in height. Have a super small one an x a vertical maybe just a pole and have the highest be just an inch or 2 taller then what you're currently jumping. Then slowly build up the height. Before you get to high make sure ur taking the jumps well, NOT rushing into them. NOT flopping over them. NOT squeezing a tiny stride then jumping. NOT over jumping. On occasion it's ok to have a flaw but not for every jump.

JamieLeighx 05-14-2011 07:16 PM

My yards jumps ony go up in 10cm intervals lol im going to have to sort something out :s

BlondieHorseChic 05-14-2011 08:51 PM

maybe put it up to the next one, but leave it as an x so its not as daunting and it will help you to get more to the center for better take off and landing.

JamieLeighx 05-14-2011 08:55 PM

what about if i put up a x-pole with a verticle pole up behind it so sort of like a spread but no spread lol? It mught make it less scary looking?